• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Folks with 73/74 Big block cars with Hp manifolds. Is your oil dipstick on the inside or outside of your manifold?

S&JButler

Local time
3:16 AM
Reaction score
So to make a long story short I’m having trouble finding an oil dipstick and tube. Called Stephan’s and they had one ( and they were proud of it). When I was giving them my info so they could get it to me I asked for a picture of it to which the guy replied “We don’t do that but it can’t be not right it came out of a 73 b body with a big block”. Well fast forward a couple of days. I get it and sure enough it fits between the spool mount and block like it should, But it’s on the outside of the manifold and rubs the heat stove when it’s all assembled. My original tube (which is broken) goes on the inside between the valve cover and manifold. So I’m wondering if both of these are correct or are there different tubes for Hp and non Hp manifolds?

So to make a long story short I’m having trouble finding an oil dipstick and tube. Called Stephan’s and they had one ( and they were proud of it). When I was giving them my info so they could get it to me I asked for a picture of it to which the guy replied “We don’t do that but it can’t be not right it came out of a 73 b body with a big block”. Well fast forward a couple of days. I get it and sure enough it fits between the spool mount and block like it should, But it’s on the outside of the manifold and rubs the heat stove when it’s all assembled. My original tube (which is broken) goes on the inside between the valve cover and manifold. So I’m wondering if both of these are correct or are there different tubes for Hp and non Hp manifolds?

My 74 440 Rallye Charger had it come up between the manifold and valve cover.

Here is the stick and holder off of my 440 HP 72 car.................

20240502_111535[1].jpg

20240502_111542[1].jpg

Can't you just bend it a bit so it doesn't touch anything?

I need also a dispstick tube for my 400Magnum. I had to reshape the Mopar Performance ones to sway the engine mount. But at the end both I bought broke just right at the end of the tube where inserts into the block. So I have two dipstick and none tube. The MP pieces, same than the aftermarket ones, are too hard so easy to break.

So I have been into the hunt for a more less correct replacement for years. Just found once a NOS one on eBay but at an outrageous price.

So if there is another one I’d love to have one. I don’t care if needs to be reshaped to fit in between manifold and valve cover, as far fits perfect to the later engine mounts.

The problem you're having is due to the motor mount change in 73, all the repo dip sticks are for 72 down. The spool mounts need some different bends in order to fit right, and to my knowledge nobody is reproducing them.
The only solution I could find was to get a stick and tube for a big block Cordoba, or Charger from a wrecking yard.

Mark

The only solution I could find was to get a stick and tube for a big block Cordoba, or Charger from a wrecking yard.
Where are you finding these in 2024? I have been adjusting the repop tubes and they work just fine.

Well I put a few posts up asking about a place called Masta Performance and got zero replies, But they claim to be able to duplicate my original tube for about 50 bucks. I’m going to roll the dice and see how it turns out. I’ll let y’all know.

Not that hard in the upper Midwest, just called the local yard and asked if they had a Cordoba with a 400 in it. This was 2020.

Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back