• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In needd of convertible advice

Dakar Timm

Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
After way too long of a winter ,I decided to pull the '66 Coronet out of it's winter storage.
I was surprised and horrified to find mice had chewed a hole in the convertible top fabric.
To say the Mrs. wasn't please was an understatement.
How does one go about finding a reputable shop to get the replacement done ?
I've searched the forum before posting this here . Seems the biggest concern is the top having wrinkles when it is up .
Thanks in advance

I'd say ask around at local car shows or car clubs to find qualified shops in your area. May be folks on here that are in your area.

If you go knocking on shop doors ask for references and what their experience is.

There are other concerns, like if top is too tight it won't close and be hard on all the latches and pivots.

I appreciate the help . I did google installers before I posted my question. Lot's of folks out there who do marginal work. I was asking how to "vet " out shops to find one the really know what they are doing. I'm not sure what to ask of a shop . Perhaps I should have been more specific.

You might consider taking in the Mopars In The Park show coming up at the end of this month in Stillwater, MN.

You can see examples of work done and talk to other convertible owners and get their feedback on what to look out for and maybe recommend a good local shop you can use.

Midwest Mopars in the Park 2024 Stillwater, Mn.

Find out where insurance companies bring their business to. I had a convertible top get cut but somebody trying break into the car. Insurance sent it to a local auto upholstery shop. They did a fantastic job.

I used a shop some years ago in Hales Corners and they did excellent work; going back to them after having a sorry job done on a top at another shop. Perfection Auto - easy access right off I-43 on Hwy 100.

Went to another shop much closer to me as my ride was pretty much stripped down yet using bungee-cords to keep the doors closed to drive there and just driver’s seat in, lol. Shop came highly recommended, not the first time I had crap work done by a highly reputed shop. Well, after the butcher job, the owner says I never liked doing mopar tops! Mine is a ’63 Ply. Well geez, why didn’t ya just tell me this when I called you? A guy I ran into at a show said the same thing as his top on his ’64 was effed up. Wish I’d a ran into him sooner.

So, when I called Perfection Auto describing the ills, he asked who did it. Told him and says – that figures.

If you'd like to send a PM, can offer a little more about what went wrong with the top install and what to look for.

Auto Transport Service
Back