• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shopping for a new Carb

real0803

Local time
4:52 AM
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a new carburetor, I need advice to see what is out there that will fit my 76 doba 400 6.6L 4BBL. The thing is I don't plan on registering it anywhere else but California . Do you know of any good carb that will fit my car that is Cali legal. Right now I came across this

4BBL; w/ Catalytic; C4-TQ; w/o Lean Burn
Carter 4 Barrel; Reman

It's $349 with core exchange on Rock Auto

Does anyone know of a better option or if this is a great option ?

Screenshot_20240502_115735_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking to get a new carburetor, I need advice to see what is out there that will fit my 76 doba 400 6.6L 4BBL. The thing is I don't plan on registering it anywhere else but California . Do you know of any good carb that will fit my car that is Cali legal. Right now I came across this

4BBL; w/ Catalytic; C4-TQ; w/o Lean Burn
Carter 4 Barrel; Reman

It's $349 with core exchange on Rock Auto

Does anyone know of a better option or if this is a great option ?

View attachment 1656759
All you have to do is learn how to tune it....mainly how quick the secondary 'air door' opens. If it opens too soon, you will get a bog (hence the Thermobog name they earned) but there used to be a tool to help adjust it on the net which makes it much easier. They can be temperamental on how fast the secondary air door opens. Just a slight adjustment can make a difference. What works on the street doesn't mean it'll work on the drag strip. Tires that 'bite' can make a difference in how the TQ operates vs street tires that break loose at the hit of the throttle. PLUS, the TQ can give you pretty good MPG in town even and on the highway. Been there, done that!

Maybe keep your original carb if the core charge isn’t too high?

Get your original carb rebuilt by a professional.

Best of both worlds.

Send your unit out to Harm's or Woodruff[ one of the site sponsors] to get a TRUE REBUILT carb. If you go with Rock or one of the many parts stores, all you're getting is a carb like yours, which most likely has worn throttle shafts etc, but all thats been done is it was cleaned[ maybe] and had a carb kit put in[ gaskets, needle and seat etc]. The two mentioned and maybe some others do a real rebuild. Otherwise all you're doing is trading your worn out turd for another worn out turd. Years ago when I worked at parts stores there was a company called TOMCO who "rebuilt" carbs. In the industry they were know as 'tomorrows comebacks" for a very good reason. And remember, carburetors have been out of production for 30+ years.

Yes, I second that sending to Woodruff for sure and get a good job ! Dave is great to work with.

Another possibility, you'll need to investigate, since you are in So Cal is JET who I think was in the Huntington Beach area. JET is Jones Electronic Tech which was the later version of Mike Jones carbs. I think one of his kids got back into doing carbs. Anyway, Mike was huge back in the day with the Stock and Super Stock crowd working over their carbs.

Auto Transport Service
Back