• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Dodge 318 poly swap

Hammer108

Local time
6:31 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an engine upgrade from the 318 poly to something else? I would like the engine to mate up to the 1965 a727 trans, which has been rebuilt.
Looking for a little more get up and go. I know the K member is different for SB as opposed to BB engines. Thanks for the input....

K frame is the same....... just different steel motor mount brackets, between BB and SB.

K frame is the same....... just different steel motor mount brackets, between BB and SB.
Not in 1965, SB and BB k members are different.

If you want it to fit that trans then it's a small block. That converter has fewer splines and small input so you can't swap on another converter.

Try adding some power to the poly, first is rear end gears can really wake it up if it has a 2 something ratio.

Then dual pipes and a 4bbl carb/intake.

Last edited:
I've added a Holley 2bbl. Already had dual exhaust. Gears were upgraded from 2.73 to 3.23's.....
I'm not sure what engine mates up to the a727..

A 340 is a direct bolt in, transmission wise, and will certainly wake the car up.

Not in 1965, SB and BB k members are different.

If you want it to fit that trans then it's a small block. That converter has fewer splines and small input so you can't swap on another converter.

Try adding some power to the poly, first is rear end gears can really wake it up if it has a 2 something ratio.

Then dual pipes and a 4bbl carb/intake.
I believe the K-members were the same, only different for /6, and A990 Hemi's. Any '63-'65 V-8 K-member should work...
Any B or RB Engine will easily fit in your car, with plenty of room to spare. A Gen II Hemi would be Very Nice, and will fit !!!

Stroke it.
I went for 3.58" crank, plenty do a 4" for 390+ clubes.
All the get up and go you will want.
20231003_180546.jpg

Put a 360 in it. I think 360 has some external balance, so you might have to buy a conversion flex plate. Same bolt pattern as your Poly 727. One engine mount is different than your 318 steel bracket (like a 340), but I forget what side. BB is my strength.
If you are doing this in a B-body, you can put either a BB or SB in the V-8 crossmember.

65's Deserve a BB ! There's plenty of room in that engine compartment.
Go Big, or Go Home !!!

1116231450_HDR.jpg

65's Deserve a BB ! There's plenty of room in that engine compartment.
Go Big, or Go Home !!!

View attachment 1662506
One other thing is the poly has 1 bellhousing bolt that is in different location than all later SB engines.i think it is the passenger side bottom. it's no big deal but it will keep you from scratching your head wandering why it won't go in.

Auto Transport Service
Back