• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Coronet 2dr Sedan Interior

dostroupe

Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
So, I'm kinda freaking out right now! I have always wanted a '65 Coronet, and have looked at many hardtop models, but wanted a 2dr sedan. I knew that they make interiors for coronets but didn't realized the they don't for a sedan. I bought an original paint, low mileage, 2dr sedan that has a sunbaked interior. My plans were to keep the original paint, replace the interior, and update the drivetrain. Well to my surprise looks like I can only get the carpet, no seat covers, door panels or headliner. What has everyone else done?

So, I'm kinda freaking out right now! I have always wanted a '65 Coronet, and have looked at many hardtop models, but wanted a 2dr sedan. I knew that they make interiors for coronets but didn't realized the they don't for a sedan. I bought an original paint, low mileage, 2dr sedan that has a sunbaked interior. My plans were to keep the original paint, replace the interior, and update the drivetrain. Well to my surprise looks like I can only get the carpet, no seat covers, door panels or headliner. What has everyone else done?
Gary Ball can make you a door panels and has head liners. You can also go with SMS auto fabrics call 503 263 3535. They are not cheep and I had to wait 18 months for the door panels for my 62 Dart. When I finally got them they are very nice. Gary's number is 574 529 0850. Joe Suchy is also a very good contact his number is 770 964 4441

Be sure to save all of the metal top plates for the interior door and 1/4 panels as those are not installed on new panels typically. If for some reason yours are not there they can be difficult to find for a post car.

I ran into the same thing with my 65 Belvedere 1 (post). I had Legendary Auto Interiors modify Belvedere 2 seat covers and door panels to fit, I don't think they charged me anything. I bought headliner, visors, carpet, package tray, plus the other in one package. Slightly different pattern than Bel 1, only had 1 person in 10 years notice something different.

I ran into the same problem with my '63 330 Sedan. I bought all the original material from SMS, and they are working on the door panels now. The seats have been completed, and the headliner is also done. I looked at Legendary, and they do make a Bench Seat cover for the '65 Plymouth, so you may be able to substitute that if you can find a close color and pattern match, or as RVW said, you can go with a Gary Ball A990 look if you can find some old A100 seats. They do look good in those cars...
IMG_0274.JPG
IMG_0271.JPG

I ran into the same problem with my '63 330 Sedan. I bought all the original material from SMS, and they are working on the door panels now. The seats have been completed, and the headliner is also done. I looked at Legendary, and they do make a Bench Seat cover for the '65 Plymouth, so you may be able to substitute that if you can find a close color and pattern match, or as RVW said, you can go with a Gary Ball A990 look if you can find some old A100 seats. They do look good in those cars...View attachment 396273 View attachment 396274
Gary can supply the complete seat. He is making the frames now.

I looked Gary up and he has a FB page. I saw that he has original A100 seats for sale sometimes. That's probably the way I will go, I love that look and that front seat weighs a ton. I know it will be expensive, but worth it in the end.

A buddy with a 64 Savoy bought all the material from SMS and had a local guy do the upholstery.
I had a local upholstery guy do the A990 inspired interior for my 65. I gave him pictures of A990 interiors and he did the rest.
IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0710.JPG

Heres a few sets of panels and seat covers for both sedans and hardtops, hardtop panels are custom.

63PLYMOUTH65DODGEA99068HEMIROADR-16.jpg 65 dodge A990 door panel.jpg 65 dodge coronet interior3.JPG 65 plymouth interior2.jpg

Be sure to save all of the metal top plates for the interior door and 1/4 panels as those are not installed on new panels typically. If for some reason yours are not there they can be difficult to find for a post car.
I have extra metal tops for sedans 63/65,................ resellers and dealers................. THEY ARE NOT CHEAP.

Auto Transport Service
Back