• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 coronet 2dr sedan general overhauling

Thedeputy

Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
I finally found some time to make a post about the general overhauling of my 1966 dodge coronet 2dr sedan. It's got a 440 four speed. Cosmetic it needs little work so I'll leave that in peace. Most off the drivetrain needs some attention and that's how I like it.
In time I will upload the progress.

Enjoy

20160614_163917.1.jpg
20160614_164027.1.jpg
20160614_164200.1.jpg
20160614_164255.1.jpg

The first order of business was rebuilding the front end with all new bushings and ball joints and reinforce the lower control arms.
Coronet 004a.jpg
Coronet 002.jpg

I made templates out of carbboard and traced it onto a metal strip.
Coronet 008.jpg
Coronet 009.jpg
Coronet 011.jpg
Coronet 020.jpg

I plan to install discs later on. I had to get it approved for dutch registration and had no time left. For now I'm keeping the 10" drums.

Some paint to preserve it from future rust issues.
Coronet 019.jpeg
Coronet 028.jpg
coronet 004b.jpg

The strut rods were also painted and installed with PU bushings. Because the inner bushing is too thick I sliced a quarter inch away to correct that.
Coronet 021.jpg
coronet 029.jpg
coronet 030.jpg

After I assembled it I turned my attention to the engine to get ut running properly. The timing was way off because the timing mark on the balancer did not correspond with nr. 1 TDC. When that was corrected I found timing was difficult to set since the distributor was sloppy and fitted with a non-fitting aftermarket electronic ignition kit. I found a well used original one and overhauled it.
coronet 096.jpg
coronet 097.jpg
coronet 098.jpg
coronet 099.jpg

When that was finished it finally responded well but now the temperature would stay low at around 160 degrees.
A quick look in the thermostat housing explained why.
Apparantly the problem with the wrong basic ignition timing lead to a hot running engine which was corrected by removing the thermostat. Nice job:realcrazy:.
A new thermostat was now an easy answer.
coronet 084.jpg

When driving the car resonated pretty bad. A quick look at the exhaust explained that issue fast. Another exhaust strap cured it fast.
coronet 085.jpg
coronet 086.jpg

To protect the body against rust I filled up the rockers and other cavities with a liquid called RX5. It converts rust into a solid surface and prevents the metal from rusting anymore. Or so the label says. I removed the door panelsand found the inside to be pristine. You can even see the markings from the dip bath 50 years ago. I also found a cool sticker on the inside. Could this be a real vintage '66 sticker?
Coronet 037.jpg
Coronet 039.jpg
coronet 041a.jpg

I didn't like the look of the aftermarket Hurst shifter that was installed. Since it's impossible to find the correct inland shifter overhere I decided to make my own. This is what was installed when I got it and another pic from the web from an original 66 inland shifter.
P1080794.JPG
coronet 078.jpg

The process of creating the shifter.

Sadly I couldn't find an original Inland shift knob but this one is pretty close.
I used a adjustment bolt from a Cordoba LCA to moun the knob. This was welded into the stainless steel tubing.
coronet 079.jpg
coronet 080.jpg
coronet 081.jpg
coronet 082.jpg

All this has taken me about 6 months. I'm now working on correcting the stance of the car. In my opinion it was too low in the rear. The first pic is the current state and the second is how I want it, which is about 1,5" higher.

Coronet 087 680-547.jpg
Coronet 088 710-587.jpg

The springs now installed are 5 leaf. I found a pair of original 6 leaf "hemi" springs which I will rework to give the desired stance.

coronet 089.jpg
coronet 091.jpg
coronet 092.jpg
coronet 093.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back