• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet 440 field find

Nice touch - Molson Canadian beer box masking for the tail lights! Didn't think you guys could get that beer down there!

Yep, Canadian has had a big part in this build! I just happen to have a few empty boxes around at most times for masking. :eek:ccasion14:

Nice, I'm really digging the flat black and she sure looks straight too. I spent quite a bit on building a paint booth but had better luck doing it just as you did it, I think the static in the plastic helps with the dust control? Looking good Grill

Thank you. I like the flat too, but the wifey says no way! She wants me to "finish" one of my projects. Oh well I guess I better learn to paint! I agree and I do believe the plastic static draws the dust. You can see it when you take it down, it's all on it and rubs off easily.

nice work looking good

Thank you, I'm sure a happy guy today!

Amazing work done by yourself. Does not look like the same car.

Thank you very much mmissle. I am quite happy with it. It has been on pause for the summer as the shop is usually too hot. And I lucked onto another project that I'm patching up all the rust on before I tuck it into the corner. The main thing holding me back here now is color. I still haven't convinced myself what I really want!! But maybe Sea foam green? I saw a Dart in that and it looks awesome. Oh well, it'll come to me some day, I hope!

Just take your time on it! Some cars will be a 5yr. build and sometimes more pending on rust or interior work or drive train.... I'm been building 2yrs. thus far......!

Wow, you dug this out of the archives! :) Ya I'm definitely at the take your time mode! But like you said, it can take years. It's not about how fast but about how happy you are with the results!

I did find a 70 Dodge Coronet 500 in middle florida but don't have the funds to go after it! And dang thing runs! Body was pretty good for the year model! I do guided fishing trips to pay for my RR! This GTX hood for exsample to me 12 hrs. from blasting and stripping the thing then you got to make sure its level on top plus prime and block 2 times then paint........ then wet sand and buff...! this hood is like glass!

RR GTX Hood.jpg IMG_2474.jpg RR hood under hood pad.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg GTX hood 72 plymouth RR.jpg

I'd sand blast the inner structure......... and media Blast the body ( soda blast ) to me saves time! I've done several restorations dealing with metal structures on and off frames... you got your hands full and doing a fine job sir! Back in the day I had matching Blue color to my 73 Duster and a blue 73 Dodge Dart was one of a kind....... wished I'd kept it!!!! This 72 plymouth roadrunner will go to my Grandson!

73ply69447-1.jpg

Well, 2+ years from primer, I pushed the ol' girl outside and blew the dust off her! Now that the runner is on the road, this one is back on the table. :) I am going to go get some Sea Foamish paint in a spray can and test it in the engine bay first. The color I want is from a Dart in a magazine, and they call it Sea Foam. It just looks a little bluer to me, but I like it.

Before

IMG_4568[1].JPG

IMG_4566[1].JPG

After

IMG_4569[1].JPG

IMG_4570[1].JPG

Last edited:
Picked up a 1966 383 today. It was supposedly a runner. I will open it up and see. Then I have a good cam, better intake and heads, and a bigger carb. The 66 stuff is quite small.

IMG_4622[1].JPG

I picked a color today. That was tough as hell. I went thinking I knew what "Seafoam" I was after, but couldn't quite match it up. So I went with a generic color out of a different book. Kind of turquoise, basically what I wanted. It ended up being called "Blue green metallic". Imagine that! It is close to the Dart I was referencing for color. I think it should look OK. I got a spray can to test in the engine bay. In the sun it flips between green and blue, but not drastically. When the bay is complete, if I'm happy, I'll buy the rest. I took pics from two angles to see if the flip would show. I think I like it already!
What do you guys think? Too much?

IMG_4625[1].JPG

IMG_4627[1].JPG

IMG_4628[1].JPG

Looking Awesome! Are you going with a Black vinyl roof or just the same color all over?

I agree 100%. Bet a set of red lines would go nice as well.

Thank you. Black vinyl. That is why I went with the "turquoisish" color. I figure it will be an awesome contrast combo.

Digging out some long ago bought parts! Heck I found 2 new wheel cylinders I forgot about as well in the brake stuff. This is a CCP, disc / drum conversion. Booster / master / proportioning valve assembly. She's been a long time coming, but every little bit gets it closer.

IMG_4638[1].JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back