• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Plymouth Belevedere Pitman arm

Peter Benjamin

Local time
4:49 AM
Reaction score
Hello. Has anybody run across replacing the orig. pitman arm with an aftermarket one and find their steering wheel is instantly off center and the car handles very poorly? Even after an alignment it feels almost like the toe is way off but it's not. Feels a bit dangerous to drive. The aftermarket pitman arm looks very similar but not exact. Thanks in advance for your help.

Make sure the steering box is centered when you have the wheels straight. Count the turns each way.

Whats the best way to pull the pitman arm. I am about to swap over to the stage 2 firm feel and know I have to change the pitman over. Just didnt know if there is an easy way to take it off.

Whats the best way to pull the pitman arm. I am about to swap over to the stage 2 firm feel and know I have to change the pitman over. Just didnt know if there is an easy way to take it off.
The best way is to purchase or borrow a pitman arm puller. They aren't expensive and make the job very easy.

You may have a poor, Chinese made part which will cause those symptoms. Get a quality part.

A good alignment shop should have centered your steering wheel so I would tend to question anything they did. Possibly they used OEM alignment specs instead of aligning for radials. There is a quick ratio pitman arm available now but I think you would have noticed the difference if you compared it to the original. Sounds like the box is not centered and possibly not enough caster.

I just bought one and popped it right off. Now the new firm feel stage two is in place and i need to fix the steering column and its ready to put back together..

Auto Transport Service
Back