• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet 500 Project

Looks great Jim, You did a beautiful job , start to finish.

Finished up the AC vent I fixed.

Cut off the brass tubing so it fits in the vent. I left them way longer than the original plastic pins so I did not have to be so fussy with keeping the tie rod on.

DSC_0162.jpg

Install the vanes with the spring keeper to put tension on them.

DSC_0163.jpg

Install the throw rod. Note the only way it can fall off is if I flipped it upside down. In normal operation it can't fall off

DSC_0164.jpg

A little Plastidip on the ends of the rods puts some black on the brass rod to make them disappear and is plenty to keep the rod from falling off.

DSC_0165.jpg

Faux chrome refresh on the ends of the vent. Sprayed on silver self etching primer (masked it off) and then some Krylon "chrome" paint. I then mixed up the SPI Universal clear after it dried a day and brushed on a few coats to make is shine and give it some durability, the Krylon is not that tough.

DSC_0232.jpg

Last edited:
Woot! New Dash Harness came. Will have a tutorial on transferring the accessory harness over to the new main harness in the next few days. There is a bit of work to do. Bob at Glen-Ray says my radiator should ship on Friday.... Are we having a starting party at my house next weekend boys!

Very nice,
I saw it in another thread in the Resto-Mod forum, I think it was,
I had to check it out

They have not built a radio yet that I couldn't get up to snuff. If caps don't do it I will figure it out!

(Disclaimer: I may need a schematic and blow the dust off ye ol'10MHz scope)

Last edited:
They have not built a radio yet that I couldn't get up to snuff. If caps don't do it I will figure it out!

The guy at Electo Tech warned me if I drive the car in mountains where there is a lot of multi path I will quickly learn to hate that analog FM. He agrees the AM is rocking but not the FM.

I was partially assembled on the dash so I will start from where I was. The first thing to install is the vent assembly for AC cars.
DSC_0235.jpg

Then install the pad with 4 #10 screws. There is a little adjustment, put it in the middle of the slot.

DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

There are nuts on the back of the pad to hold it to the dash frame.

DSC_0239.jpg
DSC_0240.jpg
DSC_0241.jpg

Now install the frame around the vents. There are very, very, very shallow lips that grab the edge of the plastic vent frame. It is easy to not get it centered and bind on the vent so it won't rotate. As you tighten the face screws keep moving the vents to make sure you keep it all centered.

DSC_0242.jpg

Now it is WAY easier to install the faceplate if you remove the switches shown. NOTE the speaker fader must be installed before this plate goes on.

DSC_0243.jpg

Then install the brass coated screws, I forgot the rear defogger switch/fader cover here but I remembered it soon after.

DSC_0244.jpg

Now install the switches from the back
DSC_0245.jpg

DSC_0246.jpg
DSC_0247.jpg
DSC_0248.jpg

Install the fader knob and the front is done.
DSC_0249.jpg

So here is the new Year One dash harness and AC harness. Clearly my car had more options that added more wiring to create the rats nest I took out. The Year One basic harness is nice and clean and linear.

DSC_0233.jpg

Original rats nest.
i
DSC_0234.jpg

We can see lots of extra stuff in the fuse box for my 500 options.

DSC_0250.jpg

Starting with the basics. Here is how the base harness is installed in the dash through the loops.

DSC_0251.jpg
DSC_0252.jpg

Up to here it is all obvious. Not sure if it is because of the 3 speed motor but I could not figure this out without a wiring diagram and an ohm meter. There are 3 brown wires and 1 brown/white wire that are single wires to single pins on the wiper and washer switch. I can tell you now that the brown/white goes to the bottom pin on the wiper switch and the brown in the wiper switch bundle goes to the other terminal. There are 2 brown wires in a separate bundle (taped together) and they go to the washer switch, order unimportant

DSC_0253.jpg

More detail of the blinker and hazard flasher connections along with the lighter.

DSC_0254.jpg
DSC_0255.jpg
DSC_0257.jpg

Plugged in the new AC harness and decided I was done for the night as I need to pull some of the parts out of the original fuse box to install this harness.

DSC_0258.jpg

What would you charge to refresh the stock radio in my 62 Belvedere? It works fine but sometimes fades on its own. And I bet it is coated in dust.

Could you take a good shot of the back of your fuse box when you get there? I need to double check mine has the wires in the correct spot as some of the light wires were free floating when I got it.

Could you take a good shot of the back of your fuse box when you get there? I need to double check mine has the wires in the correct spot as some of the light wires were free floating when I got it.

There is one above. What do you need that is different? What is the fundamental question. It is becoming clear as to the design philosophy of this electrical system.

Last edited:
What would you charge to refresh the stock radio in my 62 Belvedere? It works fine but sometimes fades on its own. And I bet it is coated in dust.
Send me a PM with your model number and we can discuss. I'll look to see if I can get a schematic (sometimes antique radio forum guys will scan for free).
"Fade" after warm could be as simple as a capacitor. Can't recall if 1962 radios were hybrids (tubes and transistors). If any tubes your problem could be just a tube. Fortunately, the tubes are available and plentiful. Unfortunately most sellers charge $$$ for replacement tubes.

Did any documentation come with the new harness such as wire color and tracers? I assume the colors were replicated on the new harness?

These is one above. What do you need that is different? What is the fundamental question. It is becoming clear as to the design philosophy of this electrical system.
I had a stack of pink wires all connected to each other for the light package that were disconnected because a wire was shorted back to the trunk. My fuse box has 5 slots, one empty. My fsm doesn't make sense how everything is suppose to be connected. I do have a spare 6 slot fuse box I could use if I need an extra sl
These is one above. What do you need that is different? What is the fundamental question. It is becoming clear as to the design philosophy of this electrical system.

Crap, found the pics of the back above...perfect. I really need coffee. Thanks.

Did any documentation come with the new harness such as wire color and tracers? I assume the colors were replicated on the new harness?

No instructions but match the factory original connectors and wire colors.

I had a stack of pink wires all connected to each other for the light package that were disconnected because a wire was shorted back to the trunk. My fuse box has 5 slots, one empty. My fsm doesn't make sense how everything is suppose to be connected. I do have a spare 6 slot fuse box I could use if I need an extra sl

Crap, found the pics of the back above...perfect. I really need coffee. Thanks.

Yes all the accessory lights go to the one fuse as shown with pink wires and all AC stuff goes to the AC fuse with green wires. Quite simple and logical.

Ok here we go.... the new fuse box did not have the insert for the AC fuse so I had to remove it from the old one. A small screw driver from the face on each side of the insert releases it so it will pull out the back.
DSC_0259.jpg

Now pop in into the new few box.

DSC_0260.jpg

The AC harness plugs into the fuse clip with the green and the black/white coming from the main harness

DSC_0261.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

Now we need put the flying leads in the bulkhead connector. Blue in "A" and Green in "B". This is what engages the clutch in the compressor.

DSC_0263.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

This bundle connects to the resistor block in the AC box

DSC_0265.jpg

This connects to the delay valve in the bottom of the AC Box under the passengers side.
DSC_0266.jpg

First accessory harness pulled off the old rats nest, what is it for?

DSC_0267.jpg

Eureka it is for the coveted rear window defogger!

DSC_0268.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back