• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet 500 Project

Great thread. I'm rebuilding the heater-a/c box for my daughter's 69 Charger RT. The original heater core bubbled pretty much like yours did, though I had planned to replace it anyway. What pressure did you test the evaporator?

Great thread. I'm rebuilding the heater-a/c box for my daughter's 69 Charger RT. The original heater core bubbled pretty much like yours did, though I had planned to replace it anyway. What pressure did you test the evaporator?

About 25 lbs.

Finally dug into my fuel tank issues. Ordered a Mustang GT 5.0 pump from Summit for several reasons, one being it should be more matched for my 318 from a flow. I went with a Carter based on some opinions. Well I opened it it today and guess what. The damn thing is a Walbro rebranded and it is the higher flow rate than the one I currently have.... Well I already had the tank out so I pulled out the sending unit and pump since I had another idea about the pump noise when hot and the gaskets leaked anyway from day one with a full tank. The parts came with neoprene gaskets and the general consensus on the web is they suck with some fuel blends (California was discussed a lot). Well it think Arizona is similar. In 2 months the gaskets were already deteriorating....

DSC_0581.jpg

DSC_0584.jpg
DSC_0585.jpg

They also has crushed to the point where the screws were loose too. I used Permatex Aircraft Sealer on them per the instructions which is likely why they were not leaking worse. I installed the cork/rubber gaskets from Tanks Inc and they are much better. You can torque the bolts down and they get tight and not questionable with the gasket being squishy like the neoprene ones.

Here are the number, did not get photos of them before I installed them.

DSC_0582.jpg
DSC_0583.jpg

Lastly I found that I had the pump strainer pressed against the bottom of the tank when I installed it the first time. I read on the net where someone else had a noisy Walbro and they found the same thing. All I can assume is when things get hot the metal expands and the clearances get smaller still. I cut the feeder tube down another 1/2" to get the bottom of the strainer where it attaches to the pump to be 1/4" at least above the bottom of the tank. The sloshing gas will wick up the strainer so that 1/4" won't make a difference. The "Carter" pump will be going back to Summit next week.

Changed the oil and filled it up. Took it for a quick drive and the pump is the quietest has it has ever been plus so for no gas leaks! Fingers crossed. Need to go for a long drive and get things really hot. That will be easy as it is suppose to be 113 in Tucson Monday...... YUCK.....

Finally dug into my fuel tank issues. Ordered a Mustang GT 5.0 pump from Summit for several reasons, one being it should be more matched for my 318 from a flow. I went with a Carter based on some opinions. Well I opened it it today and guess what. The damn thing is a Walbro rebranded and it is the higher flow rate than the one I currently have.... Well I already had the tank out so I pulled out the sending unit and pump since I had another idea about the pump noise when hot and the gaskets leaked anyway from day one with a full tank. The parts came with neoprene gaskets and the general consensus on the web is they suck with some fuel blends (California was discussed a lot). Well it think Arizona is similar. In 2 months the gaskets were already deteriorating....

View attachment 436392

View attachment 436395 View attachment 436396

They also has crushed to the point where the screws were loose too. I used Permatex Aircraft Sealer on them per the instructions which is likely why they were not leaking worse. I installed the cork/rubber gaskets from Tanks Inc and they are much better. You can torque the bolts down and they get tight and not questionable with the gasket being squishy like the neoprene ones.

Here are the number, did not get photos of them before I installed them.

View attachment 436393 View attachment 436394

Lastly I found that I had the pump strainer pressed against the bottom of the tank when I installed it the first time. I read on the net where someone else had a noisy Walbro and they found the same thing. All I can assume is when things get hot the metal expands and the clearances get smaller still. I cut the feeder tube down another 1/2" to get the bottom of the strainer where it attaches to the pump to be 1/4" at least above the bottom of the tank. The sloshing gas will wick up the strainer so that 1/4" won't make a difference. The "Carter" pump will be going back to Summit next week.

Changed the oil and filled it up. Took it for a quick drive and the pump is the quietest has it has ever been plus so for no gas leaks! Fingers crossed. Need to go for a long drive and get things really hot. That will be easy as it is suppose to be 113 in Tucson Monday...... YUCK.....

113*? Is that it? It is suppose to get to 121 here on Tuesday!! Don't you hate cheap gaskets? Glad you got it fixed.

113*? Is that it? It is suppose to get to 121 here on Tuesday!! Don't you hate cheap gaskets? Glad you got it fixed.

Where I live it is suppose to top out just into the triple digits, we typically only get one or two of those before the monsoons start to roll the clouds in around 11:00am and it rarely tips 90 after that....

Good luck Jim, winter in Oh. Monday-70's!From the 90's Sat&Sun.

The parts came with neoprene gaskets and the general consensus on the web is they suck with some fuel blends (California was discussed a lot).
I'm not sure if this is snake oil, but the guy I bought the Road Runner from claimed that Stabil360 helps reduce issues from long storage with ethanol gas. He had $250,000 in B Bodys, and used the stuff in all of his cars, so maybe he is on to something. I have continued the usage in my Road Runner (about 4 ounces every other fill up).

https://www.goldeagle.com/STA-BIL360-Performance-Campaign

Billccm I'm a believer too in Sta-bil,but it doesn't help in the carb bowl after a couple days. Color me p--------off about today's gas.

Took a drive to the car show in Tucson. About 105 degrees. When I got home the pump had changed pitch in its noise but it no longer sounded like it was self destructing and the loudest thing in the car. With the AC on it was barely detectable. The Walbo is not a quiet pump by a long shot but I can deal with it now. So far no leaks that I have detected yet. I'll crawl under it today and see if I can find anything. I am hyper sensitive to the smell of gas now because of the leaks and I keep convincing myself I smell gas but can't find any obvious leaks when I looked in the parking lots.....

Spent the day in the heat playing with the air cleaner. I bought a '67 cleaner from a member here to modify for the FiTech throttle body. I cut out the base to 5 1/8" and add a 3/4" extension with scrap steel and a welder. The welding sucks but it won't fall off.
DSC_0588.jpg
DSC_0589.jpg

I had to put 2 small notches to clear the fuel fitting and I think I will leave them open like shown. The snorkel is only for a 2 barrel so this will allow a bit more air to be available.

DSC_0587.jpg
DSC_0586.jpg

Took it for a short drive after tightening up the drivers exhaust flange which was leaking. Need to sand blast and paint it now.

I really want to make this work but the bevel it too tall. Need to decide if I dare try to to crush it flatter or not....

DSC_0590.jpg
DSC_0592.jpg

This has really stopped some of the low speed droning. It is so much more quiet under the hood now. I like it ...

Engine bay looks great, Jim...Great job on the air cleaner...what is it about a buck twenty there? 101 here today...

Engine bay looks great, Jim...Great job on the air cleaner...what is it about a buck twenty there? 101 here today...

Nope we are starting to get some monsoon action so the clouds roll in. It was in the high 90's. Still to hot to do anything though......

Nope we are starting to get some monsoon action so the clouds roll in. It was in the high 90's. Still to hot to do anything though......
Wanna trade, lol Plz!

Hot indeed either way doing what you just did...

101F today. I am done.

The paint will dry fast!

IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG

I still need to figure out how to make this work.

DE88A745-F0A6-4811-9301-653EC4AC6465.jpg

My 62 Belvedere with the 318 poly, 600cfm Edelbrock, 3.23 rear end gets around 14 to 15 mpg with a mix of street and highway.

Sorry to insult your Belvedere! Ok I just realized that I had set the Air Fuel Ratio pretty rich seeing if it would run cooler (did not). I cranked it back leaner towards the more ideal AFR. See what the next tanks does. This is with the A/C running most of the 200 miles between fill ups. When you say highway do you mean 75-80 in the freeway? Mine is about 50/50 freeway and 55 MPH 2 lane roads with some city thrown in. i have noticed that it takes a LOT of energy pushing this thing down the road above 70MPH. It LOVES to run around 60MPH. It has 2.94 gears.

Auto Transport Service
Back