• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Coronet 500 Project

Trying to stay busy. Yesterday morning I spent a few hours to jack up the Coronet and really dial in the hose clamp balancers on the driveshaft. I had 3 on it but it needed only 2. That was before the phone call. Decided to go for a drive to clear my head this morning. I am in BIG trouble. The 318 really pulls now that I have the timing dialed in and it use to start to vibrate at 68 so it was natural to keep it in the 65 speed limit. Now, man it does not care if it is 20 or 120. It is way to easy to get it cruising 70+ without even noticing.

Ended up in Benson at a show. Only stayed for a few hours before heading back home to go to Tucson with the family....
F66C0FD2-691B-453B-80B4-993A5CD17FBB.jpg

Last edited:
I think I got the black edge stripes to thick. I'm thinking about red pin stripes at the color boundaries that are mostly in the black to visually thin up the smaller stripes. There is red on the brake drums and the vinyl top medallions (custom, factory is black)

What do you think? May mock it up with some cheap pinstripe tape first.

Jim, very sorry for your loss. I'm sure he was very proud of you. My father has dementia and it's a terrible thing to watch how it progresses....

Jim

I am sorry to hear about your loss....My condolences to you and your family....

Justin

Jim, so sorry about your dad. I completely understand the bond and it's one of the main reasons I have my car, for me and my dad. Just know that he is smiling down from heaven enjoying seeing you drive what you built with your own hands.

I think I got the black edge stripes to thick. I'm thinking about red pin stripes at the color boundaries that are mostly in the black to visually thin up the smaller stripes. There is red on the brake drums and the vinyl top medallions (custom, factory is black)

What do you think? May mock it up with some cheap pinstripe tape first.
I like the stripes as is but it is your car. Pinstripe tape is a good idea.

In looking more closely at RoadRunners no one can seem to agree what the "right" dimensions are. They are all over the map with a few similar to what I did. I just see it all the time and am self critical.

my thoughts n prayers out to you n yours for the passing of your loved one

i'd keep the stripes as is.

i'd keep the stripes as is.

I am going to leave it.... The drawing says I have the correct scaling (the stripe is 1/4" wider than the gap), I just did not make them quite that larger (1" stripe - 3/4" gap) but the photo seems like the opposite is true. I am going to believe the drawing and say I do have the correct scaling and leave it.

70_GTX_RR_Hood-2.jpg

Longest trip to a show yet. About 80 miles one way with 40 of it on the open desert interstate. I did fill it up before heading out and even with a lot of WOT starts to dial in my fuel injection accelerator pump settings I am now getting almost 15MPG since I set my timing to 12 degrees advanced vs the stock value of 2 degrees retarded! I am much happier now with the 318!

My hose clamp balancing is very good. I cruised the 40 miles on the interstate at 75-80MPH and it just glided down the road. I had to not think about how to bring the 2 ton monster to a panic stop with those 50 year old technology brakes...... There was no drama either way though.

The show was in Willcox Arizona at the annual Rex Allen Days (the movie cowboys home town). Only three Mopars, all of which can be seen in the Bisbee Az show photos so I only really took photos of the new cars I had not seen again. There was my Coronet the Polara Convertible and the '70 RoadRunner. The Polara and I took home one of the top 20 trophies presented in no particular order but they did call my name first.... :) The Best of Show trophy I did not want because it would not have fit in my car!

22254983_1554145224621389_3382596622525749441_o.jpg
DSC_0060.jpg
DSC_0061.jpg
DSC_0062.jpg
DSC_0063.jpg
DSC_0064.jpg
DSC_0065.jpg
DSC_0066.jpg
DSC_0067.jpg
DSC_0068.jpg

Sorry to hear about your Dad. You only get one and it's not the same when they're gone.

You have a sharp looking ride there :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back