• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 non-Rallye tach - on the cheap (or near to it, anyway)

cudak888

Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
Thought I'd spin this off from my main build thread:

One of the bits I've found rather fascinating (and would like to add to my '68 Satellite) are the factory tachometers tacked into the non-Rallye dashes. Just the same, they're ridiculously expensive, used or otherwise.

I've already been through my dash once, and both my temp and fuel gauges are giving me issues (even with a solid state voltage limiter), and since I'm now obligated to pull it all out again, I'm toying with the idea to make that tach a reality...with an aftermarket gauge and some 3D printing:

1968-mopar-tach.png

Haven't really done much besides this. Cost for this faceplate looks like it'll be around $35 in acrylic plastic, but I also have to work in a nylon backing plate to hold whatever gauge I choose. Still cheaper than $199 for a repop though. Should be interesting...

-Kurt

My time is worth more than 200-bucks. Good luck...you've obviously got skills I don't. It'll be cool.

Took me 7 minutes to make what you see there in Blender, and someone else will 3D print it for me. Not a bad win, IMO.

Granted, replicating the lettering will take some time, but it should be interesting.

Also going to print a replacement plastic insert for my broken dash dimmer switch in the process. Worked fine until then; no point in another hundy gone when it's just the plastic that needs replacing.

-Kurt

3D printing is pretty damn cool. I "think" the gray colored reproduction '70-'72 air grabber boxes are 3D printed.

Not to hijack this thread, but I had a TEMP slider button 3D printed. Thinking about doing all three buttons on the heater controls.

Not to hijack this thread, but I had a TEMP slider button 3D printed. Thinking about doing all three buttons on the heater controls.

Interesting, was considering doing the same myself. Any chance the files are up for sharing? Would save me some modeling time...

-Kurt

Interesting, was considering doing the same myself. Any chance the files are up for sharing? Would save me some modeling time...
I had my college intern do the model. Let me see if I can get it for you.

Thought I'd spin this off from my main build thread:

One of the bits I've found rather fascinating (and would like to add to my '68 Satellite) are the factory tachometers tacked into the non-Rallye dashes. Just the same, they're ridiculously expensive, used or otherwise.

I've already been through my dash once, and both my temp and fuel gauges are giving me issues (even with a solid state voltage limiter), and since I'm now obligated to pull it all out again, I'm toying with the idea to make that tach a reality...with an aftermarket gauge and some 3D printing:

View attachment 422147

Haven't really done much besides this. Cost for this faceplate looks like it'll be around $35 in acrylic plastic, but I also have to work in a nylon backing plate to hold whatever gauge I choose. Still cheaper than $199 for a repop though. Should be interesting...

-Kurt

Any plans on making some for sale? If they work and look good, I would be interested.

Any plans on making some for sale? If they work and look good, I would be interested.

Maybe. You'd have to paint them though. There's a new ready-to-paint-finish acrylic coming out at the end of this month which should be ideal for it.

Just have to figure out what tach fits the front plate best. Nylon printing an adapter for the back will be the easy part.

-Kurt

Got a picture?

-Kurt

I just looked and I can't find a picture. I just bought one & most people's are black plastic (like original), but I did see at least once place that had a "medium gray" colored one for a couple bucks cheaper. I've never had one in my hands and I only "assume" it's 3D printed. It could just as easily be molded with a gray plastic instead of black...but why?

I realize this has been forever since I've posted about it, but I finally got a replacement gas gauge in for my Satty, and decided to do a bit on the 3D rendering. Pricing at the 3D place has gone down for the material that has a decent enough resolution for this, so it might actually be affordable.

1968-mopar-tach-render.png

Debating on whether to build it for this el-shito tach (which should fit reasonably well):

https://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Tac..."+tachometer&refinements=p_72:1248862011&th=1

or the Bosch FST7906, which - as nice as it is, may be a tight fit at 2-5/8":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-Sport...ash=item2a4d693080:g:tnQAAOSwPYZU~1X9&vxp=mtr

-Kurt

Bit more progress tonight. Still have to work on the "3" and "RPM X:"

1968-mopar-tach-render-2.png

Probably going to fit it with the cheapo tach for simplicity.

-Kurt

1968-mopar-tach-render-3.png

Looks pretty good. Printing looks like it'll be around $18 for the faceplate as it is now. Need to buy the tach now to design the rest and figure out how much that'll bump it up.

-Kurt

Last edited:
I've been thinking about doing a tach as well, never occurred to me to 3D print it. Funny cuz I have 9 3D printers at work.

Tell ya what, let's work together on this since we can both benefit. You nail down the 3D model and I'd be happy to print a prototype for free.

I've been thinking about doing a tach as well, never occurred to me to 3D print it. Funny cuz I have 9 3D printers at work.

Tell ya what, let's work together on this since we can both benefit. You nail down the 3D model and I'd be happy to print a prototype for free.

I'm all for that. What materials can you print in? I usually do these through Shapeways, so I was going to use Frosted Ultra Detail (not sure what the material actually is) for the face, and a simple PLA shell for the back.

That said, if you happen to have a B9Creator on hand, perhaps you can print the face in Spot-HT resin, in which case, I can make a silicone casting of it without having to deal with the resolution issues of Shapeways' Frosted Ultra Detail.

-Kurt

Yeah those B9Creators are crazy cool. We have lots of Makerbots for simple prototypes then we typically do higher quality parts on a stratssys mojo. We just moved our shop so the mojos aren't up and running just yet but I think we can get them online for this.

The mojos are pretty good but I'm guessing you'd see the lines on the faceplate for sure. But who cares? Let's go with it and see what happens. Worst case our PLA prototypes allow you to refine the model and then just pay a shop to print out the finished piece.

Works for me. Prototype doesn't have to be beautiful.

PM me your email. Should have the finished files ready in about an hour. STL format work for you?

-Kurt

Yep, STL works great. Oh and not sure I answered your question - PLA only for our makerbots, but the mojos can do ABS, etc. I'll have to check our mojo filament stock first to see what we have. I'll pm ya in a sec.

Auto Transport Service
Back