• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 non-Rallye tach - on the cheap (or near to it, anyway)

Awesome! My 8 year old son slept ate and breathed Thomas for about 4 years. I'm gonna show him that later.

Sure! Go get certified in SolidWorks - CSWA (certified SW associate) is super easy and there are real jobs out there needing that cert. there are other more advanced certs as well. Then maybe get with a company that teaches professional development, maybe your town / county / local community college. Or... do like I did and get certified as a high school teacher ... it's F U N.

Well, 30 years on and the first four seasons of that show will never get out of my blood. It combines three of my passions in a way nothing else has: Miniatures, cinematography, and railroads. Come to think of it, it's probably to blame for those 3 specific passions - chicken before the egg?

Will definitely look into the SW certification. Haven't used it, but can't be any worse than Blender.

-Kurt

Last edited:
Just saw this thread, was wanting to put a tach in my 68 non-rallye dash ... did this ever get finished ?

Awesome thank you ! Any pictures of the completed tach?

Nothing other than the pictures earlier in this thread. I've been too engrossed in the idea of making my original tach work...

-Kurt

Here it is painted and mounted ... I'll get around to installing it this week sometime ..

20180204_140058.jpg

Ok, blast from the past here, but a bit of an update:

First off, poor Barnfind is still waiting on me to finish a 3D printed, C-body tach. My apologies to him. It's one of quite a few hobby-oriented projects I've been doing for friends, and it's one of those that takes quite a bit of time and concentration in Blender to get it right - ideally, I don't want to find out that I screwed up the first one to be printed.

In other news (full story @ https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...-fat-engine-swap.96118/page-12#post-910995038 ), I tried to get my factory original tach going with an RTE board. The RTE board works like a champ, but the needle on the original unit is a royal PITA - I don't know why anyone likes them other than for originality. The needle runs smooth by hand, and I've adjusted the springs and the jewel screw so the ring runs absolutely perfectly, and I'm having no luck.

Now as much as I'd like to have an original, I really don't want another thing on this car with intermittent quirks - and since I went through all the trouble of designing 3D printed replica ages ago (and since the little Chinesium $12 tach worked perfectly), I'm going to get one more printed for myself - though I'm going to update the plate by deleting the mounting screw holes. I'm going to add a centering stud to the back instead so it can be glued to the cheapo tach. I'll also offer this as a variation on Shapeways for those who like the idea of this.

In other news - I added a pair of quick-disconnect weatherpack connectors for the voltmeter (I converted it - no high amps going through here) and the tach, when complete. I don't know why on earth I didn't think of this in the first place, since disconnecting the voltmeter is such a major pain in the butt every time the instrument cluster is pulled. This should make installation a breeze!

IMG_3726.JPG

-Kurt

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back