• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Satellite, fuel tank pressurizes during every drive; blows out J-tube

Well heck, box is long gone. Now that I think about it, I think the application may have been for a Dodge pickup of the same era.
I took a couple pics of it, but there's no part number. :(
It's a Stant.
I remember the parts dude just looked up the throat and step dimensions of the stock cap, then went digging for anything with the same specs only vented.
Here's the pics anyways, worthless as they are:
IMG_20170214_212323573.jpg
IMG_20170214_212334015.jpg

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Excellent, thanks! Will take a look see what the Dodge D and W series use.

At any rate, it might get me to the Florida Nats IN a Mopar, where I can pick up the rest of the parts to do the job right.

-Kurt

-Kurt[/QUOTE]
...I remember the parts dude just looked up the throat and step dimensions of the stock cap, then went digging for anything with the same specs only vented.

That did not happen at an AutoZone, Advance Auto, or the likes. Those 'associates' cannot find anything without knowing a year, model and make.

I'm going to see if I can either track down that dome-shaped cap (looks like it's for a tank that fills from the side of a truck's cap) or modify the two as 440+6 did - for the meantime, anyway.

Having a hard time finding a spare filler neck to modify. Anyone got a spare?

-Kurt

Sure that's not just one that vents for vacuum, not pressure? Anti-surge makes me think "Anti-vapor-lock."

-Kurt
It was just something for you to look at. Glad I have an earlier car. Hope you fix your problem, they can drive you nuts.

-Kurt
That did not happen at an AutoZone, Advance Auto, or the likes. Those 'associates' cannot find anything without knowing a year, model and make.
Actually, it did. Normally, I'd agree with you, but the local one actually has an older fellow who's sold parts for decades and knows his stuff.
He's retired but works there part time to have something to do.
He knew exactly what I was talking about when I asked and had a couple different ones out for me to try (I had the GTX with me that day).
The one in the pics fit the best.

Actually, it did. Normally, I'd agree with you, but the local one actually has an older fellow who's sold parts for decades and knows his stuff.
He's retired but works there part time to have something to do.
He knew exactly what I was talking about when I asked and had a couple different ones out for me to try (I had the GTX with me that day).
The one in the pics fit the best.

You are a lucky man. NAPA is the only place I can still get that kind of service. Unfortunately they still keep the same 9-5 hours (closed at noon on Sat, closed Sun) that they always have.

You are a lucky man. NAPA is the only place I can still get that kind of service. Unfortunately they still keep the same 9-5 hours (closed at noon on Sat, closed Sun) that they always have.
I'm afraid so. None of the parts chains value experience and expertise anymore, seems like.

...so what causes the pressure buildup?

You would think a vacuum buildup would be more likely as the fuel pump is removing fuel from a "sealed" system.

I ask because my 73 (with the four vent lines and charcoal canister) does the same thing.

After driving, it will nearly blow the cap out of your hand when you unscrew it.

I've had a vacuum pump on the vent line and it is slow to come to zero, but it does.

I've also blown through the canister, and it's clear.

From what I understand, venting is for fumes, not pressure.

I'm going to take a WAG and say it's the fuel we get these days, what with the ethanol expanding at a different rate and all?

If that were the case, wouldn't everyone be having the same issue unless they were using non-eth?

If that were the case, wouldn't everyone be having the same issue unless they were using non-eth?

I just always left the vent line to the canister open under the hood of my 71 and 72 Darts, they never blew a drop.
65 and 66 are vented caps, so never had that problem.
The 66 vent is just the short thick stub pipe already mentioned.
The 66 used to be able to fill up very quickly with the old large diameter nozzles, and that vent was perfect.
The new smaller high velocity nozzles make a lot of foaming during fueling, and I have be careful of not foaming it over.
Same car

You'd think, sure, and not just amongst Mopars of the era I'd imagine.
I do see posts about such on other websites from time to time, actually - but you'd think there'd be more fuss for sure.
I suppose it's similar to the removing of zinc/phosphorus from engine oils they did a while back - although that issue is certainly much more talked about nationwide amongst the hobby, I never really saw anything about it in major media...but there's a reason for that, too, I would bet.
Both of these have to do with supposedly protecting the environment (EPA), of course, so any reports of detrimental side effects of such mandates would naturally be squashed in the MSM, as they don't advance the liberal agenda.

I'm afraid so. None of the parts chains value experience and expertise anymore, seems like.

If you want a good laugh, walk into { name your brand } of nation wide chain parts store and ask for a carb base gasket for a 4 bbl spread bore carb. :lol:

If you want a good laugh, walk into { name your brand } of nation wide chain parts store and ask for a carb base gasket for a 4 bbl spread bore carb. :lol:
I've usually found it easier, when I've decided to buy something from one of those stores, to just go ahead and look it up on their website first for myself.
Sometimes I even pay for it before I go in, then just show up and pick it up.

Auto Transport Service
Back