• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 b body steering column..

Xp29h

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
ok I might be in the wrong place (general) but I gotta still ask..

Story...
Putting the column back in my 69 charger tonight..
When install coupler on firm feel new stage 2 box, it doesn't go down all the way on the shaft. It's about 3/8" too short to get to the roll pin spot. It the wants to spit the guts of the coupler out.
Checked out:
So, firm feel correct..
Coupler correct for 69 b body power steering
Steering column doesn't appear to be collapsed but it only 40 3/4 " long.
Question?
Aren't they supposed to be 41 1/2" long?

Any help diagnosing this would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Here's a pick of the column in the coupler as far as it can go and still not even close to being the
Correct length from the gauge hole (13/16") to top of coupler. My estimation it's about 3/4" too short! Collapsed maybe somewhere?
image.jpeg

I don't know the power steering shaft length....When you started the coupler did you fit up the column on the dash side yet(not the firewall plate yet)? That angle change will free up any binding. Don't tighten the bolts but screw them up but allows the column to slide if needed. Then move back to the coupler and slide it on farther....

I always put some oil inside the coupler and on the steering box shaft...

Last edited:
Thanks for thoughts! I did bolt the firewall plates up but not tight. Did grease the inside of the coupler and a little on box shaft too. Made sure the guts fit correctly too.

Moparnation74, I saw those but looking at the diagram in the auction, I can't get the column end in the coupler far enough to even get rubber cap on! I will get one anyway for when I get this right, I can see that would be good to have!

I know we never banged up the column. However, since I first posted I've gone through some of the history of the car and previous owners' accounts of steering issues. One po told me 3 steering boxes later, it still wasn't any better. When I got the car the steering was loose and the coupler cap was all afloat and no roll pin in the coupler at all! That's why I never went to far in it! I'm guessing it wasn't the boxes, coupler etc, it has been the column all along. But it definately is 3/4" shorter than what I can find is supposed to be the correct length of 41 1/2"

Anyone have a column?

Thanks for thoughts! I did bolt the firewall plates up but not tight. Did grease the inside of the coupler and a little on box shaft too. Made sure the guts fit correctly too.

Moparnation74, I saw those but looking at the diagram in the auction, I can't get the column end in the coupler far enough to even get rubber cap on! I will get one anyway for when I get this right, I can see that would be good to have!

I know we never banged up the column. However, since I first posted I've gone through some of the history of the car and previous owners' accounts of steering issues. One po told me 3 steering boxes later, it still wasn't any better. When I got the car the steering was loose and the coupler cap was all afloat and no roll pin in the coupler at all! That's why I never went to far in it! I'm guessing it wasn't the boxes, coupler etc, it has been the column all along. But it definately is 3/4" shorter than what I can find is supposed to be the correct length of 41 1/2"

Anyone have a column?
If you have the right coupler, that should slide all the way on irregardless of the shaft...as the shaft unit inside the coupler slides...

Did the key and splines seem fine inside the coupler?

Yes the coupler slides all the way on but when I install the column the end of it barely fits in the coupler. The column is way too short. The column firewall brackets are flush against the firewall right where they should be.

Yes the shaft and installed kit slid fine inside coupler before install. The pic I posted is the column shaft without rebuild kit. The pin for the kit is just barely inside the coupler.

Hope that makes sense!

Just a follow up to what I found.. The column had been collapsed by about an inch or so. Took some vise grips and attached near the undo of the shaft and somewhat gently tapped the vise grips. I continued until I got the column back to length. Put it right back in car and it fit like a glove into the coupler and onto the steering unit.

I got to thinking that if it had been collapsed and those little plastic pieces had broken, if I get back to correct length and carefully install and it's all bolted in and couldn't collapse again unless it was struck. Essentially doing exactly what it would have been designed to do in the first place. That's why I didn't mess with the pins or a new column. We'll let you all know how it works out. Should be back out on the road before snow flies, I hope!

Auto Transport Service
Back