• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger Engine Build Advice

BBodyGuy

Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Got a 1969 charger R/T that I'm restoring. Didn't have an engine when I bought it, but has a 383 it now for the sake of driving it. Starting to plan the drivetrain build and could use some advice as high hp builds aren't my specialty. To start, I'm going to want to use either a 440 or 426 hemi block (most likely aftermarket for the hemi as there are so few and ungodly expensive) since these are what the R/T's came with. My goal is to hangout around the 700HP range. I've always had a want for a supercharged car, but I've never been a big fan of the large blowers coming out of the hood. They look cool, but my brother has a 57 belair with one and I hate driving with it in the way of the windshield. This makes me want to go the fuel injected route with a belt driven centrifugal unit. Has anyone ever done this and does anyone know of any literature I can read up on to inform myself on what this will take besides big bucks lol. It won't be a daily driver, but I do go on a few longer cruises in the summer with some good highway driving so decent driveability would be necessary. It would be bolting up to a Tremec TR6060 6 speed manual and a 3.73 rear end. Thanks in advance

I had the same thought with the 68 Charger I am working on. After 27 car projects over the last 33 years I decided to go all out with the last one. I couldn't find a cast iron block so I sprung for the Indy Maxx aluminum block and went Hemi! I came up on the list for the Passon Perf. 5 speed OD transmission and went for it. The engine and trans are in. The drive line is being made, once in, we can fire it up and see how the FiTech dual quad set up works. Go Hemi and good luck.

20171008_081938.jpg 20171008_082033.jpg

You might want to talk to Jim LaRoy of Challis, ID as he is a wealth of knowledge on building Mopar motors.

Hashmaker that is a beautiful engine right there. What do those blocks go for and I've heard Indy has a fairly long wait period for them.

Plymouth rocks appreciate the info. I'll send him a message.

Jim did the port work on the Stealth heads for my 440 and did a fantastic job. I would definitely do business with him in the future.

Hashmaker that is a beautiful engine right there. What do those blocks go for and I've heard Indy has a fairly long wait period for them.

Plymouth rocks appreciate the info. I'll send him a message.
The aluminum block was 5900 by the time Indy did their machine work and the engine builder did the final prep. Bore is 4.375, stroke is 4.150. It did take about 7 weeks for the engine shop to get the block after ordering it.

Auto Transport Service
Back