• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Dodge Charger Restoration

Are these direct from AMD? If do, I would guess you are right. For a retailer, it might just be a way to list both numbers for an identical part and just carry one in stock?
no i did not purchase these directly from AMD, its little more difficult to buy directly from them when your in canada. i bought them from a major parts distributor that sells there brands. but say i had of bought the good mark one, would they have still sent me this one? i don't get how or why they would do that when the prices are so different

Its like ar-15 parts. Anything forged like upper and lower recievers, come from one of 5 forgers in the country but you can get 70 different manufacturers name and their final machining quality. Both the name and that final touch they do determine price.
AMD are what started mopar replacement metal. Why reinvent the wheel, goodmark makes a deal with amd so they can use their parts knowing itll still meet the quality they want and charge whatever they need to based on their company's overhead. Maybe a goodmark part is cheaper because theyve been around so long. AMD still needs to pay for all of their equipment. Or dependimg on which part it is, maybe goodmark is more expensive because they have to pay amd the rights. Or they could be cheaper because amd has such tight tolerances they reject a lot. Goodmarks deal could be to buy AMDs seconds. Maybe not as good as straight from AMD but still not bad. Then youve got tamraz, which has worse quality given the stamps they have are waaaay cheaper and the metal is thinner they save more money and their parts fits like crap. Punch out 1 quarter and maybe its ok. Punch out 500 on a cheap form, each line has moved and softened a bit with rach bang from that machine and now your got parts that fit like junk which is what were used too. I read somewhere tamraz cant get 1000 parts from their molds. But they are cheap enough to just make new ones. And with budget builds tamraz sells sooooo much they couldnt care less. AMD probably getting 10,000 or more from their molds

Its like ar-15 parts. Anything forged like upper and lower recievers, come from one of 5 forgers in the country but you can get 70 different manufacturers name and their final machining quality. Both the name and that final touch they do determine price.
AMD are what started mopar replacement metal. Why reinvent the wheel, goodmark makes a deal with amd so they can use their parts knowing itll still meet the quality thwy want and charge whatever they need to based on their company's overhead. Maybe a goodmark part is cheaper because theyve been around so long. AMD still needs to pay for all of there equipment. Then youve got tamraz, which has worse quality given the stamps a are cheaper and the metal is thinner theybsave more money and their parts fits like crap. Punch out 1 quarter and maybe its ok. Punch out 500 on a cheap form, each line has moved and softened a bit with rach bang from that machine and now your got parts that fit like junk which is what were used too.

AMD are what started mopar replacement metal. Why reinvent the wheel, goodmark makes a deal with amd so they can use their parts knowing itll still meet the quality thwy want and charge whatever they need to based on their company's overhead. Maybe a goodmark part is cheaper because theyve been around so long. AMD still needs to pay for all of there equipment. Then youve got tamraz, which has worse quality given the stamps a are cheaper and the metal is thinner theybsave more money and their parts fits like crap. Punch out 1 quarter and maybe its ok. Punch out 500 on a cheap form, each line has moved and softened a bit with rach bang from that machine and now your got parts that fit like junk which is what were used too.
What the heck? Why my post get duplicated but shortened... oops. What happens trying to post from a phone i gues...

AMD are what started mopar replacement metal. Why reinvent the wheel, goodmark makes a deal with amd so they can use their parts knowing itll still meet the quality they want and charge whatever they need to based on their company's overhead. Maybe a goodmark part is cheaper because theyve been around so long. AMD still needs to pay for all of their equipment. Or dependimg on which part it is, maybe goodmark is more expensive because they have to pay amd the rights. Or they could be cheaper because amd has such tight tolerances they reject a lot. Goodmarks deal could be to buy AMDs seconds. Maybe not as good as straight from AMD but still not bad. Then youve got tamraz, which has worse quality given the stamps they have are waaaay cheaper and the metal is thinner they save more money and their parts fits like crap. Punch out 1 quarter and maybe its ok. Punch out 500 on a cheap form, each line has moved and softened a bit with rach bang from that machine and now your got parts that fit like junk which is what were used too. I read somewhere tamraz cant get 1000 parts from their molds. But they are cheap enough to just make new ones. And with budget builds tamraz sells sooooo much they couldnt care less. AMD probably getting 10,000 or more from their molds
very interesting, makes sense though. so basically best bet is to still buy AMD, as there quality control is far better, and far less chance of any wrong or incorrect panels. makes sense, i can see why you would pay a higher premium for that.
thanks for all that information!

very interesting, makes sense though. so basically best bet is to still buy AMD, as there quality control is far better, and far less chance of any wrong or incorrect panels. makes sense, i can see why you would pay a higher premium for that.
thanks for all that information!
Yup. Thats the consensus ive read anyways. As car as i know goodmark is the only one licensing off amd. If someones going to see it, like a quarter or its a pain to get it to fit if its too far off like a wheelhouse or inner fender go with AMD. If its easy to trim and fit like a trunk extension the seconds goodmark has is more then sufficient.

In the same vein, I knew a truck driver that was delivering in Cleveland and walked in to the loading dock and they were slapping labels on water heaters for 4 different companies. Same heater,diff labels!!

In the same vein, I knew a truck driver that was delivering in Cleveland and walked in to the loading dock and they were slapping labels on water heaters for 4 different companies. Same heater,diff labels!!
Haha. Its so true. My family's company makes electron beams for processing and crosslinking plastic, like wire insulation. Its an incredibly tiny industry, basically 3-4 real players then a variety of chinese or russian knockoffs that we dont really consider competition yet, at least No one ever comes to us saying "well we are considering you or xyz in china" any ways While having friendly lunch beers with the biggest and up and coming chinese company's rep at a wire and cable show, he let it slip that when they get an invoice through china they paint their machine grey and red. If they get an invoice through belgium (the main other major competitor to us) they paint it white and green. So for the past 5 or so years our biggest competitor has actually been having an up and coming yet still no name outside of china company building their machines for them. Which might be why weve been getting more business because their quality's dropped a bit, hmm....

Sorry to hijack a bit john

Words of advice: Think big! Think entire car as one system. Don't fixate on just like one section. Get the entire car media blasted. Remove the qtrs, floors, frames then blast again. Replace all the metal, then blast again to clean the welds and all the 'crap' that will be everywhere. You have a major amount of work ahead of you, but half the work is actually fun!

Words of advice: Think big! Think entire car as one system. Don't fixate on just like one section. Get the entire car media blasted. Remove the qtrs, floors, frames then blast again. Replace all the metal, then blast again to clean the welds and all the 'crap' that will be everywhere. You have a major amount of work ahead of you, but half the work is actually fun!
Great advice!, much appreciated donny

John, being in Nova Scotia as well I know the difficulty in getting these aftermarket parts at a fair price. I have been ordering everything for mine (interior bits ,electrical, body panels etc) from Keystone. Basically I ordered a classic industries catalog from their website and I just give the part number of what I want to the guys at keystone and they give me a price and timeframe. Usually much better then buying direct. Now I can tell you I have used goodmark and AMD on my project. A few parts were identical pieces could not tell the difference. Every floor pan and rocker panel I have is Goodmark, thus far no complaints on them the floor pans even have a lot of the little brackets AMD doesn't give you, rockers have the inner bracing as well. When it comes to outer sheet metal, AMD all the way I have the entire back of the car in AMD metal and so far I am incredibly impressed that a reproduction exterior sheetmetal part can be as good as they are. Now that doesn't mean there aren't little issues but from what I have been told and read,even NOS panels aren't perfect. If you ever need some guidance or whatever hit me up. We are close so I may be able to help steer you in the right direction although this place has always steered me where I need to go!

John, being in Nova Scotia as well I know the difficulty in getting these aftermarket parts at a fair price. I have been ordering everything for mine (interior bits ,electrical, body panels etc) from Keystone. Basically I ordered a classic industries catalog from their website and I just give the part number of what I want to the guys at keystone and they give me a price and timeframe. Usually much better then buying direct. Now I can tell you I have used goodmark and AMD on my project. A few parts were identical pieces could not tell the difference. Every floor pan and rocker panel I have is Goodmark, thus far no complaints on them the floor pans even have a lot of the little brackets AMD doesn't give you, rockers have the inner bracing as well. When it comes to outer sheet metal, AMD all the way I have the entire back of the car in AMD metal and so far I am incredibly impressed that a reproduction exterior sheetmetal part can be as good as they are. Now that doesn't mean there aren't little issues but from what I have been told and read,even NOS panels aren't perfect. If you ever need some guidance or whatever hit me up. We are close so I may be able to help steer you in the right direction although this place has always steered me where I need to go!
I agree with you, when we first took on this project, we realized we can get all the parts, its just a matter of paying dearly for them to get them here. After some searching, i to realized that keystone distributes AMD and good mark parts as well as some other bits. I'm in the auto sales business, so i have some good relationships with some of the part stores in my area. I used the keystone website https://ecat.crosscanadaparts.com/base/ and login as a guest to get all of the good mark part numbers, and the AMD website to get all those part numbers. Then i just gave everything I wanted to a friend at the part store and said i need a SOLID FAVOUR! He ordered it for me through his store to keystone. I could not believe how much less the parts were than what i was expecting to pay originally. We were kind of thinking on doing the same strategy, good mark where we can, AMD were we have to. Although the rear valance and tail panel i just ordered were good mark, and I'm going to test and see how they measure up just for my own satisfaction, i can return them if i don't touch them or cut them. The price for those in AMD was extremely different, so i just want to make sure that i'm over paying for good reason.
Im sure we may need a little guidance at some point for sure, I appreciate all your help and feedback Pat!
Thanks

We haven't been very ambitious in the last 6 months. But we have had some free time to spend on the charger the last week and have been able to tear most of the front end apart, cut the majority of the floors out and start to mock up some new parts.

DSCF4436.jpg
DSCF4440.jpg
DSCF4445.jpg
DSCF4447.jpg
DSCF4448.jpg
DSCF4449.jpg
DSCF4450.jpg
DSCF4451.jpg
DSCF4452.jpg
DSCF4453.jpg

Frame rails getting cut out and new ones mocked up. Its such a great feeling to see an actual solid piece of shiny black steel in this car..its such a rare sighting lol

DSCF4515.jpg
DSCF4517.jpg
DSCF4518.jpg
DSCF4521.jpg
DSCF4523.jpg
DSCF4526.jpg

ANY INPUT WELCOME: we've been playing around with the alignment of the front rails. this car was in a bad accident in its life time, the left rail was bent up real bad, so the measurements were way out of wack. I braced the k-member in place to were i know everything fit..however when i bolt the rails to the k-member and snug the bolts my outside measurement is about 36 1/8". and it is evenly square down the rails at that measurement until the curve in the rail obviously. However that measurent is off from the frame specs of 36 1/2". wondering if that would be considered "acceptable tolerance", because there seems to be no way to space the rails to spec and have the k-member bolt up. Im waiting to recieve my AMD rad support to test fit that.
frame_specs.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome from Vermont! My wife has been to Nova Scotia twice in the last 6 months on cruises. Holy cow!! You didn't have much left did you? I have seen worse though, started as restorations. You seem to have skills and that's handy, so, good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions, that's what we all are here for!

Auto Transport Service
Back