• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Roadrunner Build

Figured out the low end miss. Carb was way too rich at idle. Swapped plugs dialed in the idle mixture and all seems right with it, did not hammer it as I decided to take it to the gas station for the first time. Everything seems to be checking out fine, rides really good actually considering all the bushings everywhere are shot. Getting another grille from another member here, but fixed mine temporarily so it does not go sliding across the road when I stop (ask me how I know now). Put in another headlight harness from another member so lights up front now.

IMG_4017.JPG IMG_3987.JPG IMG_3988.JPG IMG_4018.JPG IMG_4020.JPG IMG_3986.JPG

Still fighting the gauges so gave in and ordered new ones just in case. Spent some time restoring some dash parts per some feedback on here. Happy so far. Even restored the Champion Electronics badge in case I want to run it.After doing some research that company is actually a Slot car company from the early 70's.

IMG_3789.JPG IMG_3961.JPG FullSizeRender[1] (2).jpg FullSizeRender (3).jpg IMG_4029.JPG IMG_4030.JPG IMG_4031.JPG

Last edited:
Parts coming in daily like Christmas. Not sure what the intent was when the harness was cut off at the firewall and starter but scored an original uncut headlight harness and bought new starter/battery harness. Looks a lot better, a huge pet peeve of mine is spliced wiring.

IMG_3760.JPG IMG_4035.JPG IMG_3758.JPG IMG_4036.JPG

Will most likely go get the registration done tomorrow. I am loving this car, scars, warts and all.
Took the wife for a spin in it today. Her Response "This seems like something you are going to kill yourself in".
Got all lights in the rear working but had to ground the housings so not entirely sure what is happening there, will dig later, all wiring looks great and is still soft. Also filled the power steering pump up and put the belt on. So far no leaks and much lighter steering. I will admit even on old cars I have had before I actually like the heavy steering but it is nice to handle the wheel with a finger if you want on this one.

Also found a small parts cache yesterday. Ashame I already did brakes as it had NOS wheel cylinders in the box as well as plenty brake rebuild kits. Will get everything out and figure out what is what, Several boxes dated 1973 and older, as well as 80's and 90's stuff. If anything I will build a parts cabinet in the garage to display.

IMG_4061.JPG IMG_4057.JPG IMG_4038.JPG IMG_4039.JPG IMG_4044.JPG

Looks good, sounds like your busy and having fun.

That speedo cleaned up really nice, what did you use to make it look so good?

Looks good, sounds like your busy and having fun.

That speedo cleaned up really nice, what did you use to make it look so good?

Thanks.
I bought decals for the gauges, I wound up buying new gauges for temp, gas and oil pressure so once they get here I can re assemble the dash.

Thanks to 3rd1970rr I have a better presenting grill now. This is the second one I have bought and far nicer than the three I now own. Also grabbed some back up lights and front parking lights from him.
Also pondering adding a tic toch tach in the dash, Classic has a pretty good deal on the reproduction one now.

Tranny is still spitting fluid out the dipstick when building pressure. Had to swap to a locking dipstick to contain it. Looks like the vent may be blocked or clutch issues per some notes on FBBO.

Sold my Audi so this car is now set up to be the go to car to drive when not in the company car.

20160403_140909.jpg IMG_4065.JPG

Last edited:
Not sure how many grilles you should buy to get one you like but lessons learned.
Facelift complete and it looks much more tidy now.

IMG_4069.JPG IMG_4067.JPG IMG_4068.JPG IMG_4072.JPG IMG_4073.JPG

Great read. Hope you keep the story updated.
Thank you and I will, I am looking at swapping the carb to a new one. I did get it registered and insured and took it on a longer ride yesterday. Rides really well. Plan on getting after the floor next.

IMG_4081.JPG IMG_4080.JPG

Hoping to get after the front floor this weekend. I fought with my gauges long enough and bit the bullet and ordered new, once bolted up they worked like they should. Feel a lot better being able to see what is going on. Cleaned the seat bottom and painted it to get it ready to be recovered. The car sat with a bucket of bolts that weighed 53 pounds(I weighed it) and it wound up breaking two springs. I welded them up and everything seems pretty solid now. Also cleaned the horn pad, it was pretty ragged and I let it soak in Dawn for a week, it broke up the black that was all over it. I then took a polishing wheel and knocked all the surface surt off, I think it will work. Have to deal with the dash pad and wait on the tic toc tach and I can start buttoning up the dash for good I hope.

IMG_4120.JPG IMG_4119.JPG FullSizeRender (4).jpg IMG_4117.JPG IMG_4086.JPG IMG_4118.JPG

Little more grinding and sanding but the front floor is welded in. Seats prepped for covers.

Question, what do you guys do about headrests? Mine are splitting and I may have enough original vinyl to get them recovered since a pair from Classic is so expensive.

IMG_4145.JPG IMG_4141.JPG

Can't say the seam sealer from the factory is easy to mimic, but I tried. I think I need another quart to actually match how much they glob on a car. Ready for some interior work.

IMG_4127.JPG IMG_4147.JPG IMG_4149.JPG

Rain has me inside but have mini projects set up all over. Belts getting boiled.

IMG_4259.JPG IMG_4260.JPG IMG_4258.JPG IMG_4261.JPG

I used Rit Fabric Dye dark green. They turned out pretty good, one of those pics is the after of the three worst, hazy but they turned out pretty good. All but two were in good shape but I dropped them all in so they had the some hue.

Auto Transport Service
Back