• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 RR Horn

tnfastback

Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
Can someone tell me is there supposed to be 1 wire to the horn connector or 2?? If 2 then what are the wire colors?? Mine only has 1 wire going to the connector and not working.
Thanks

There should be two wires which run to the connector for the horn. They are Green/Brown and Brown.

Actually the second wire may be Green/Brown as well...

IMG_3414.jpg

Last edited:
That does it......
I'm wiring in a second horn I can Meep-Meep with.
I'll build a rotor-wiper cam that I can hit a button and get a perfect Meep-Meep every time.
Separate from the regular horn.

Can someone tell me is there supposed to be 1 wire to the horn connector or 2?? If 2 then what are the wire colors?? Mine only has 1 wire going to the connector and not working.
Thanks
Road runner horns die.
I'm sorry for your loss.
Maybe it can be resurrected.
Here's how a horn works......
There's a flexible plate, and a set of electrical contacts attached.
At rest, they are in contact.
When you hit the horn, the current pulls the diaphragm away and this disconnects the current. It falls back to the connection and repeats at the reasonant mechanical frequency of the oscillating member, in this case, the plate of the horn. There is a screw on the horn.
This is your horn-loud horn-no horn at all adjuster. Play with it.

It is the perfect gap that provides contact yet allows full loud honk.
But as a set of points DO eventually burn away, you must adjust for contact burn-away, which is NORMAL.
Now, if your road runner horn is weak, I'd suggest a deep dip in Deoxit D5, or remove the adjuster screw and spray heavily......then put the adjuster screw back in... find the point of contact, and enjoy the new louder honk.
Deoxit D5 available at Radio Shack, electronic magic spray for any kind of connection.

Maybe there is too dang much paint and no grounding.... One wire is enough butcha gotta have a good ground onna horn.

You may need to remove the horn and attach to a battery charger while striking the horn on the center post to wake it up...

There should be two wires which run to the connector for the horn. They are Green/Brown and Brown.

Actually the second wire may be Green/Brown as well...

View attachment 389773
Thanks for the pic/info. I just have 1 wire to the plug in and see another cut wire on the passenger side apron. I will see what color it is.

Auto Transport Service
Back