• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 "V" code road runner

Rodney

Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
I had to get busy on my road runner 440 6 pack 4 speed, have until the end of the month to move her from the body shop she has been stored. Had a lot of the work done but plenty more to do. I ask the manager of the shop if I could get as much work done on the RR up to June 1st he said no problem. I worked in the shop for many years until a few years ago when I retired due to health reasons. I'll post some before and progress images but my main reason for posting, I am trying to find where a couple dash wire harness wires go or what they are intended to be for. my Service manual doesn't show these wires? both have eyelets and are located on the left side of the steering column, blue with white tracer and light green. the plug in the center of the two is for the flasher. I tried hooking together with a circuit breaker, that isn't right when I did this the head lamps stay on with the head lamp switch off and key in the run position. the car has no power accessories any ideas?
my 70 Satellite 318 AT car doesn't have these wires in the harness.

100_2330.jpg

many hours of bodywork fit and finish

100_2149.jpg

I am using a single stage urethane paint. the car is an original black car.

100_2358_1.jpg

today I hope to finish the headliner and set the back glass in and start to clean up to move the car to my shop.

Last edited:
I am all but certain that those wires are for an optional headlamp delay relay. This would have kept the headlights on for a period of time after you left your car.

A Road Runner would very likely not have had this option. Tape them up and leave them be....

thanks for the reply,
more info from another source says the harness may be from a Charger and the eyelet end wires are for power to the headlamp doors to open.
I am going to shrink tube them off and tie them up and move on.
I have the back glass installed and the carpet for the most part. Today I am moving the car and on Tuesday will get the front end aligned.

100_2357.jpg

Got her out of storage had to work on another project and deal with some health issues. Now back to dash wires seems no power to the temp and fuel gauges.
Got the six pack bolted on so far sounds good for setting years. More assembly before an alignment and a test drive
Nice to have her home.

100_2168.JPG 100_2178.JPG

Grounds,grounds check your grounds.

sorry haven't had the time to finish up the interior,
needs headliner trimmed and moldings installed and a few bits and pieces.
need to get some new seat belts also.
I did take her for a short drive :) ran great for a stock 440 6 pack.
once I was down the road realized no mirror or seat belts installed.. time to get back to the Garage.
I was offered an 18 spline transmission to replace the 23 spline I installed 1500.00
am not sure if i would need to get another bell housing for the input bearing retainer to register correctly? if so I would need to find the correct bell housing also.

Got her out of storage had to work on another project and deal with some health issues. Now back to dash wires seems no power to the temp and fuel gauges.
Got the six pack bolted on so far sounds good for setting years. More assembly before an alignment and a test drive
Nice to have her home.

View attachment 395557 View attachment 395560
sorry haven't had the time to finish up the interior,
needs headliner trimmed and moldings installed and a few bits and pieces.
need to get some new seat belts also.
I did take her for a short drive :) ran great for a stock 440 6 pack.
once I was down the road realized no mirror or seat belts installed.. time to get back to the Garage.
I was offered an 18 spline transmission to replace the 23 spline I installed 1500.00
am not sure if i would need to get another bell housing for the input bearing retainer to register correctly? if so I would need to find the correct bell housing also.
great job on your car very nice,are you going to to shorten your tail pipes and may be put correct chrome tips on?

Yes the exhaust system needs some attention what's on now is some used off my satellite
Time and money as usual is everything.

Auto Transport Service
Back