• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Charger new shock absorber suggestions

mbc0724

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:50 PM
Reaction score
Good morning: I have a 1971 Charger RT with a 440. Looking to replace the shocks which are 30+ years old. Any suggestions on brands you have used and like? Thanks!

Years ago I went with the kyb gas a just on my 73 and was happy with them. I just recently but Bilstein on my 72 Duster and like those as well.

Years ago I went with the kyb gas a just on my 73 and was happy with them. I just recently but Bilstein on my 72 Duster and like those as well.
Had kyb shocks on my b-body which set for probably 15 years. Do you think that they are any good anymore?

I have Bilsteins on all my old cars with no complaints. If you go that route, PST, a sponsor on this site, will give you 10% off for being a member of FBBO.

Look on line for MONROE SUPER 500 as NOS. larger pistons, larger shaft sizes, stiffer valving and slightly higher viscosity oil........IMO, they ride harder but great dampening, reaction time.....origional developed for NASCAR auto racing.....far better than KYB, BILSTEIN, orcurrent Monroe....but the old Gabriel Red Rider's were good as well....but difficult to find as NOS........just my opinion of course......
BOB RENTON

Monroes or Gabriels... got a pair on one of my cars, can't remember which, it was over 10 years ago.

I have Bilsteins on all my old cars with no complaints. If you go that route, PST, a sponsor on this site, will give you 10% off for being a member of FBBO.
I put bilsteins on it now, was just wondering if the old kybs have dried out or something from sitting so long and whether to keep them for future use or not.

Koni"s.
Infinitely adjustable.
Easily tuned to your driving style
and road conditions.
20211016_104512-1.jpg

These are some of the shocks I have on my cars:
Seems the price of shocks has really gotten expensive, but I bought the KYBs 30 years ago for about $100 for set of all 4 shocks, and the Bilstein shocks maybe 10 years ago for about $400 set of 4. I just bought the Viking shocks recently, so just under $1600 / set of 4 (they are still in the box.)
The KYBs are a stiff shock, and one of the lower cost options. About $300 set of 4
The RCD Bilstein shocks are good, but pricy. About $600 set of 4
Not sure if the have a listing for Mopar B-bodies, but have Spax double adjustable shocks on the Jensen Interceptor. About the only shock "listed" for the car, but I could have measured the original shocks and found a close replacement. Anyhow, those were about $200 each.
The Viking Triple Adjustable Shocks are "Adjustable" and really pricy at about $400 each.
I didn't know about the Monore super 500. Thanks for the tip RJ.

I’ve got KYB gas-a-justs on my 72 Satellite that look pretty fresh. I’m going to upgrade to Bilsteins while it’s apart. I can send you the KYBs for the price of shipping if you want.

Had kyb shocks on my b-body which set for probably 15 years. Do you think that they are any good anymore?
Have to drive them and see. Watch how they do once they get past the normal ride position. The older gas a just seemed to soften a little with age/use and not necessarily a bad thing.

Thanks to all who replied--this site is a great source of information!

Auto Transport Service
Back