• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Roadrunner Restoration

Looks Stellar! Btw how long has it been there:realcrazy:....That is awesome!

Looks Stellar! Btw how long has it been there:realcrazy:....That is awesome!

4 full months to the day. They got it July 2nd. Dang quick!

Steve shot me these pictures this morning. It still hasn't sunk in that it's actually at paint now, mainly because I have been fighting issue after issue with the engine build. Still extremely excited though.
IMG953649.jpg
IMG953648.jpg

4 full months to the day. They got it July 2nd. Dang quick!

Steve shot me these pictures this morning. It still hasn't sunk in that it's actually at paint now, mainly because I have been fighting issue after issue with the engine build. Still extremely excited though.
View attachment 535057 View attachment 535058
I know what you have been through with this build and I know your in a state of euphoria but man it looks great...

There are only a few shops in the states that can meet or beat committed time frames. That is very commendable for Triple F....

Whats the issues with the motor? Are you planning on using Dave?

I know what you have been through with this build and I know your in a state of euphoria but man it looks great...

There are only a few shops in the states that can meet or beat committed time frames. That is very commendable for Triple F....

Whats the issues with the motor? Are you planning on using Dave?

Just rookie mistakes really. What you don't know will hurt you haha! I am converting the 340 to a full roller motor and nothing really wants to fit. The push rods won't even clear the holes with just the roller lifter and I got 1.6 ratio rocker arms so the heads will have to come back off. It wouldn't be an issue if I hadn't already torqued down the heads and pretty much wasted 80 bucks in head gaskets. I decided not to port and polish them because money is getting tight and it will have plenty of power as is. Since I have to have them machined I am going to go ahead and them done now. Like I said rookie mistakes. Plus I don't know much about sizing custom push rods and don't have the proper tools so I will need to buy some measuring tools shortly. Again just first timer mistakes but at the same time, I am gaining a lot of knowledge so it's worth the growing pains.

I did talk to Dave a while back but he said he only really has experience in big blocks so I didn't think to call him back. If I had just read more online I would have known better. Just got anxious to put it together. :)

Just rookie mistakes really. What you don't know will hurt you haha! I am converting the 340 to a full roller motor and nothing really wants to fit. The push rods won't even clear the holes with just the roller lifter and I got 1.6 ratio rocker arms so the heads will have to come back off. It wouldn't be an issue if I hadn't already torqued down the heads and pretty much wasted 80 bucks in head gaskets. I decided not to port and polish them because money is getting tight and it will have plenty of power as is. Since I have to have them machined I am going to go ahead and them done now. Like I said rookie mistakes. Plus I don't know much about sizing custom push rods and don't have the proper tools so I will need to buy some measuring tools shortly. Again just first timer mistakes but at the same time, I am gaining a lot of knowledge so it's worth the growing pains.

I did talk to Dave a while back but he said he only really has experience in big blocks so I didn't think to call him back. If I had just read more online I would have known better. Just got anxious to put it together. :)
Well that is how most of us all learned as well....Just do one thing put it on an engine run stand and break it in before dropping it in that car.....

I cannot tell you how many rookie mistakes I have done and as you said you learn well from them..It also limits how many people you need to rely on also...or people that try to BS you...

Well that is how most of us all learned as well....Just do one thing put it on an engine run stand and break it in before dropping it in that car.....

I cannot tell you how many rookie mistakes I have done and as you said you learn well from them..It also limits how many people you need to rely on also...or people that try to BS you...

I want to pre break it in but I am not sure who I can take it too that has the capability to just run it like that.

I have been really busy working on the engine... and reworking on the engine.... oh and reworking on the engine due to my rookie mistakes. However, the engine is finally coming together and its pretty close to being ready to go back into the car. I may get the carb this weekend if time allows. Speaking of carbs, I am have not completely decided what size I should get. Do you guys think an 850 holley double pump will be to much for a full roller 416 with slightly worked aluminum heads and a pretty steep cam? I am open to all suggestions!

Most importantly, here are a few pictures of the engine:

Resized_20171130_200538.jpeg

Resized_20171127_214347.jpeg
Resized_20171127_214403.jpeg

I have been really busy working on the engine... and reworking on the engine.... oh and reworking on the engine due to my rookie mistakes. However, the engine is finally coming together and its pretty close to being ready to go back into the car. I may get the carb this weekend if time allows. Speaking of carbs, I am have not completely decided what size I should get. Do you guys think an 850 holley double pump will be to much for a full roller 416 with slightly worked aluminum heads and a pretty steep cam? I am open to all suggestions!

Most importantly, here are a few pictures of the engine:

View attachment 545460
View attachment 545458 View attachment 545459
Looking good...love the floor toolbox!

Brian....Hello....Any updates...lol

I see the shell got some color:thumbsup:

Brian....Hello....Any updates...lol

I see the shell got some color:thumbsup:

Steve and the team are putting it back together this week and then they will put the glass back in along with decals. Probably will be the first of the year before I get it home due to the holidays. I don't have any pictures of the car back together but here are some teasers in the mean time :)
20171202_102552.jpg
20171202_102643.jpg
20171202_102731.jpg
20171202_102833.jpg
20171202_103336.jpg

On another note, I am finally putting the finishing touches to the engine. Finding all of the connectors for the intake and valve covers have proven to be a bit of a challenge but I got it done now. The pcv was surprisingly the hardest thing to track down.
20171209_222526.jpg

My wife has also gotten in the Christmas spirit and is officially a mopar woman. It's kind of hard to see in the pictures but she made little nativity scenes using mopars and surprised me with them. I loved it of course. And took a couple to work with me. Very creative idea.

20171209_184831.jpg

It looks to me that the valve covers on your engine are on the wrong sides.

It looks to me that the valve covers on your engine are on the wrong sides.

Thanks, I was not sure what side the PCV valve went on and the pictures I saw online looked like the passenger side. I will switch them out tonight when I get home. I wanted the filler hole up front to so this makes it perfect.

Just out of curiosity, would it have hurt the engine if it was on backwards or not work properly?

Thanks again!

Hey did you ever get the drivers side wiper arm figured out ? I face with the same problem to.Thanks.

S6420003.JPG

Big update! The Car has been reassembled and will soon be ready to come home. It just needs the decals applied and the glass put in and it will be ready for reassembly. It's so hard to believe I am finally to this point. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:
IMG955534.jpg
IMG955530.jpg
IMG955532.jpg
IMG955533.jpg
IMG955535.jpg
IMG955529.jpg
IMG955528.jpg
IMG955531.jpg

Well i DID,IF YOU GO TO FOR A BODIES only,go to body and trim see my post wiper arm,snake is my use name there clearly you will see.

Auto Transport Service
Back