• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 - quads vs sixpack on '67 440 hp

The early TM 7's With an 850 DP is really hard to beat. My Weiand 2x4 tunnel ram with two 650 DP's was about 1 1/2 to 2 MPH faster. ET was really about the same.
did you have a hi stall converter or clutch? high stall converters on the street are a pain.

SPeaking of 62-63 Mopar
we had a Stage II wedge stick shift car, later hung on the aluminum kit and switched back and forth with a torqueflyte, upgraded to stage III, found out it ran better with a fire slot in the dome- etc
Isky developed his first and ONLY .904 lifter optimised cam and we were- well I thought we were the first test car- found out later that several of us were
Later Racer Brown came out with one- really consistent I'd still use one to dial in a chassis
I just moved an early 4 speed with the companion flange not slip yoke if anyone needs it- this one is stock
I do not recommend the cross ram on the street- use the 6 pack just think of them as a 4 bbl with two secondaries- tunes just the same and well worth it
If you are looking for looks either works- but I agree- long rams on a street roadster look the bestI did one with 4-71s on it, tried a tunnel ram with a 6-71-- both worked well until a backfire... but they looked awesomne
one of the best cams ever for mopars was the racer brown STX 22 -that was for the hemis' not sure if it was available for wedge, they were a pain because you have to install the lifters before the cam because they are mushroom. you must have had the higher compression (13:1?) with the aluminum package, the day I ordered my car they came out with the alum front package, I ordered it but didn't get it- never knew why till a few years ago when I found it was only available with the higher compression 426, I had the 11:1 version with automatic. really miss those days of drag racing, I raced Tommy Grove at Fremont once- best seat in the house to watch him win- right behind him... when I raced my 426 hemi willys I had the crane RR296 -wow what a cam, high gear pulled as hard as low gear. I did run a factory crossram with the 426 hemi in my '62 dart wagon it worked well.for street driving I'd unhook linkage to one carb.

Hard to get the acceleration of a mushroom cam even with a roller- Jones inverse flank rollers come close- flat flank roller no way
did you try progressive on those two four barrels, but using small primary four barrels seemed to work well for me
STX 22 was available for the wedge
back in the day Racer was one of the few who developed his own masters
Ed Winfield, several others like Potvin/ Moon's Bill Jenks I have a .904 size master that Jenks did for a AMC Jeep project- now where is it?
most were copy cats

nice to see it again
note
:and we made best power with our Mallory billet, mag-pickup distributor (PN 3257711) set to 39 degrees total timing.:
shows just how inefficient those open chamber MOPAR heads are
Vortec style chambers can use 10 degrees less

I ran a General Kinetics 635/ 645 mushroom cam for years. Big power. Much better than my .720/276 Comp roller, equal to the .660/280 Comp roller and just slightly less power than the .690/284 Lunati roller. Trick was finding a valve spring that held up consistantly.

I ran a General Kinetics 635/ 645 mushroom cam for years. Big power. Much better than my .720/276 Comp roller, equal to the .660/280 Comp roller and just slightly less power than the .690/284 Lunati roller. Trick was finding a valve spring that held up consistantly.

we ran GK solid and mushroom in our Trans Am "302" Javelin but usually Engle (much quicker turn around here on the west coast) Jack Engle was another quality camgrinder they have a complete line of .904 sold and Hyd masters- very reliable profiles
Today valve springs are much better than in the 70s

Note in those HR manifold tests the stock heads were the limiting restriction and IMHO still would be even pocket (DC templet) ported
even pro ported heads are no match for modern Aluminum- just keep the velocity up- big enough but not too big

Auto Transport Service
Back