• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 choke gone wild!!

Paul Becker

Local time
10:52 PM
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
My 69 Coronet 500 has this crazy choke thing going on. It can be a bit hard to start after sitting for week, but when it does, it is idling incredibly fast est.4-5k rpm's. I've read accouple of articles saying to unhook the the choke mechanism. I will finally knock down to normal idle, but it takes, several minutes. I dont really like the car revving so highly for that amount of time.

thanks, paul

I don't think it's reving that high or the fast idle screw would never disengage from the cam to allow normal idle. But - I understand that it's way too high. There is a fast idle screw down low that works on a small, stepped cam - on the driver side. The screw must need to be backed off. With the choke closed it should rest on the upper step but with the choke open it "should not" be in contact with the lowest step. That allows the curb idle setting to adjust without affecting it. You need to adjust the screw while it's sitting on the upper step with the choke engaged (closed) so that it fast idles cold at somewhere around 1500 rpm.

Auto Transport Service
Back