• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

426 max wedge i.d.stamp decode

stage3

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:44 PM
Reaction score
any body able to decode this max wedge i.d. stamp?1st row is easy..the 2nd is another story.

426 TM-P
and I think 8 - 8 - 62?
if it is "62",that's a lot of engines in sequential order?? on aug 8th..

have not received the block yet...only have this pic....

IMG_0905.JPG

looks like 426, T = 1963, M-P = Maximum Performance, 8-8-62 = build date for 63 car
That's my guess

looks like 426, T = 1963, M-P = Maximum Performance, 8-8-62 = build date for 63 car
That's my guess
agree it appears to be for a very early 63 low compression car & doesn't look to be heavily decked or bored the stamping font also looks to be correct, any idea on the casting number or date?
it seems like at the early mw blocks I come across are also august cast.

im told its std bore..2406730-1 block casting...11-1 motor..wasn't sure on the stamp..everything I read says the last digits r the block assemblys for the date in 63...but 1962 august does make more sense..motors complete,picking it up this weekend..

Going by this TSB 63-1A the earliest 426 MW is 27th August.

image.jpeg

so,,based upon that service bulletin,,,if its an 8.its fake.

or,,that 1st digit is a 9.covered in surface debris..I guess im going to find out Thursday evening when I get there to load it up..

Last edited:
I doubt it as they probably had some prebuilt for early production they did weird things back then, I even had a 413mw factory bored to a 426 & stamped as a correct 426mw with all the correct fixins.
does it have a 1/2" oil pick up hole, the valve notches in the cylinders look correct

I doubt it as they probably had some prebuilt for early production they did weird things back then, I even had a 413mw factory bored to a 426 & stamped as a correct 426mw with all the correct fixins.
does it have a 1/2" oil pick up hole, the valve notches in the cylinders look correct
yeah,, I heard that there was a lot of inconsistencie's with the max wedge line's.the internals did check out with #375 rods and 11-1 pistons..#2406646's..heads r #286's.stock rockers and stands,valve covers.crossram,,crank,misc etc,i asked the guy over the phone what size the pick up tube hole was but he didn't have anything to measure it by..
Im leaving early tomorrow morning to pick it up and will be back Friday evening...will let u know then..

There are also a couple more identifier's ...on the front should be a " 2R " ,numbers on the oilpan rail at the rear, casting date,casting #,notches(hard to see in your pic),1/2" oil pickup,...wait till you have it and all will be revealed :thumbsup:

What are all parts are you buying with it?

There are also a couple more identifier's ...on the front should be a " 2R " ,numbers on the oilpan rail at the rear, casting date,casting #,notches(hard to see in your pic),1/2" oil pickup,...wait till you have it and all will be revealed :thumbsup:

those same numbers ..2R,,AAQA,,are also on the street wedge and marine blocks but..all the parts I just listed above come with it..its almost complete except for pan and carbs...be back tomorrow..later..

Anybody seen a pickup like this, found these pictures and was told they were a max wedge. My friend raced a max wedge back in the day and had a lot of max wedge parts, don't recall ever seeing one
like this.

pick up 1.jpg pick up 2.jpg pick up 3.jpg

Last edited:

its all legit..has the 1/2" oil pick up.and another inconsistent max wedge tell has popped up yet again...block has all the usual...correct i.d. stamp,notches on the cylinders,1/2" oil pick up...2406730-1 casting...BUT, by the AAQA it only has a sideways 1 and no R.....go figure... my 426 marine block..same casting number,,has the AAQA 2R..xtra thick block..just no max stamping. and 1/2 pickup and the notches...

011.JPG 009.JPG

I think your build date is 8th of September 1962 (9-8-62) one week after this engine.Compare the stamping.So this would be within the correct dates.
Strange the 2R is not present.Greg Lane has a spiel about the presents of a 2R on his website.

I wanna know ........but I'm not gonna ask !!

More pics of your booty Stage3

image.jpeg

Last edited:
yep,,1 week after yours.brothers ?lol.i read greg lanes article also saying all were 2R's...I guess nothing is written in stone when it comes to these engines..but im not complaining.

but hey check these out,,this is what Christmas morning looks like..that deep max wedge pan I already had...if I get time today I will mock it up with a set of NOS hooker 5319 race headers and take some pics..

001.JPG 016.JPG 002.JPG 007.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG

Last edited:
Well, as I actually bought a BRAND NEW 1963 MAX WEDGE (in 1963) when I was 21 yrs old. Sure wish I would have taken a zillion pictures of it...but back then you had to buy a roll.of film and then take it to the camera shop.and pay for developing...

Well, as I actually bought a BRAND NEW 1963 MAX WEDGE (in 1963) when I was 21 yrs old. Sure wish I would have taken a zillion pictures of it...but back then you had to buy a roll.of film and then take it to the camera shop.and pay for developing...

if this helps at all here's a photo of a mw motor that they would give to the winner of a big event I think this way from a green valley meet nov 63
20161004_141604.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back