• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 casting numbers

1967coronet440

Local time
11:05 PM
Reaction score
Ok I have a guy selling a 440 and a 727 "core" I can go pick it up down the street for 200 bucks. 440 is a bare block no crank or heads. Anyway casting number is 3830930 440 5. Can't seem to find much on that number and I don't have the info from the data pad in front of the motor yet. My question is, if it turns up to be a rv motor is it worth having? Or is there any difference. Don't have any plans for the motor as I have a running 440 and a 383 on the stand in the garage. But I figured for 200 bucks it might be a good buy. Any help is appreciated as always, thanks

IMG_0072.JPG

Ok I have a guy selling a 440 and a 727 "core" I can go pick it up down the street for 200 bucks. 440 is a bare block no crank or heads. Anyway casting number is 3830930 440 5. Can't seem to find much on that number and I don't have the info from the data pad in front of the motor yet. My question is, if it turns up to be a rv motor is it worth having? Or is there any difference. Don't have any plans for the motor as I have a running 440 and a 383 on the stand in the garage. But I figured for 200 bucks it might be a good buy. Any help is appreciated as always, thanks

View attachment 381713
1968-1978 steel crank 440. Looks like a build date of July 9th 1974. Could be a motorhome engine but they are strong blocks with great build potential.

RV Block

You are better off without the crank and heads for that motor. If the block is standard bore that is a great deal......

Thanks guys he says it's standard bore, had it machined 2 years ago so all it should need is a home as he's had it wrapped in his garage. I'm going to pick it up tomorrowand update tomorrow with some more photos. Was there any mechanical differences in a 440 rv motor and a passesnger car 440, or are all the parts interchangeable. Thank you

I would agree with the previous post,lose the heads and crank. Also,The low compression pistons would go if it were mine.

"Most" later RV blocks had stiffening ribs
Agree with everyone here, lose the crank, pistons, keep the heads for another build?
Pics will tell if it has ribs, buy it! Can you verify the machine work already done?

I am rebuilding a 72' forged crank440 with low compression Pistons, but I added 915 closed chamber, bigger valve heads to compensate. It worked great on my 400', so I hope to have a good combination again.
RV blocks are really good candidates for rebuilds.

I'm going to pick it up tonight, I was planning on rebuilding my 440 this winter anyway so maybe I'll just use this block instead. Any differences in using this bare block compared to my 67 440 block out of a Newport? I'll take the crank out of my other motor and use that, got aluminum trick flow 240's on the way. Going with 440 source h beam rods and after market piston.

Here's some other photos he has of the block on the listing, don't know anything about the trans but I have a local guy that will take a core and give me a rebuilt 727 with a shift kit for 900 Bucks. I wrecked the first trans I got from him when I blew the driveshaft through the floor, he took the old one and gave me a new one for free.

IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0077.JPG

I would say it might be a good thing and time well spent to read up on IQ 52's thread about these blocks and what can be done to generate big horsepower with simple components. He did a whole dyno, test and swap sessions using readily available parts. I am following his lead on mine (1974 MH 440) and fully expect to end up with a pump gas 506 HP/ 446 CI 440. I feel that's enough, more than enough, for a street car of this size, 1967 Coronet, and I'm looking forward to driving it.

I would say it might be a good thing and time well spent to read up on IQ 52's thread about these blocks and what can be done to generate big horsepower with simple components. He did a whole dyno, test and swap sessions using readily available parts. I am following his lead on mine (1974 MH 440) and fully expect to end up with a pump gas 506 HP/ 446 CI 440. I feel that's enough, more than enough, for a street car of this size, 1967 Coronet, and I'm looking forward to driving it.
Thanks I will check it out, funny this block is also a 74 mh 440 going in my 67 coronet

Thanks I will check it out, funny this block is also a 74 mh 440 going in my 67 coronet
That is funny! Small world! He tested a bunch of combos including porting and carb spacers and different heads, intakes, carbs etc, and posted the combos and the dyno numbers for each. I mean he took a 7.5:1 smog anchor and with minimal head work, stock valves, quality rockers, stock crank and pistons, 346 heads, an 850 Mighty Demon, a small Comp cam and a Performer RPM intake and turned it into a HP elevator w/ 8.9:1 compression. The major parts are less than $2000 if you have the engine and heads. The porting work and other cylinder head work is not a big deal either. The small cam apparently just keeps producing HP with that combo. Nothing Earth shattering but worth the effort for sure in my book.

That is funny! Small world! He tested a bunch of combos including porting and carb spacers and different heads, intakes, carbs etc, and posted the combos and the dyno numbers for each. I mean he took a 7.5:1 smog anchor and with minimal head work, stock valves, quality rockers, stock crank and pistons, 346 heads, an 850 Mighty Demon, a small Comp cam and a Performer RPM intake and turned it into a HP elevator w/ 8.9:1 compression. The major parts are less than $2000 if you have the engine and heads. The porting work and other cylinder head work is not a big deal either. The small cam apparently just keeps producing HP with that combo. Nothing Earth shattering but worth the effort for sure in my book.
I'm going to run the trick flow 240 head with track heat intake, comp 286 solid roller cam forged crank h beam rods haven't decided on pistons yet probabaly an icon or diamond 10.5:1 since the cam calls for 10.5:1 and a 1050. I'll post more pics of the block when I pick it up tonight

Cool. I'm driving my tractor up the road a mile or so later today to chain this 440 w/ engine stand to the bucket and carry it home. This motor has been promised to me since 2014 and my wife paid for it as a Christmas present. Needs oil pan, valve covers, valley pan, starter, dizzy, wiring, wires for plugs. I have a BB 727 already and a couple of rear ends, a true 9" Ford 1978, and the '67 8 3/4. and now a 2002 9" Ford. Of course i'll have it hot tanked cleaned up.

Cool. I'm driving my tractor up the road a mile or so later today to chain this 440 w/ engine stand to the bucket and carry it home. This motor has been promised to me since 2014 and my wife paid for it as a Christmas present. Needs oil pan, valve covers, valley pan, starter, dizzy, wiring, wires for plugs. I have a BB 727 already and a couple of rear ends, a true 9" Ford 1978, and the '67 8 3/4. and now a 2002 9" Ford. Of course i'll have it hot tanked cleaned up.
Awesome, is the motor built or mostly stock? We've got a family friend with a 71 challenger sitting in his garage and a supposed 9second 440 sitting on the stand I've been trying to get for 2+ years now!

It's a completely stock motor. Here's some pictures, I just got back with it. Cylinder heads are # 3769902-8, block is # 3830930 made 5/7/74

WP_20161227_13_55_07_Pro.jpg WP_20161227_13_55_16_Pro.jpg WP_20161227_13_55_37_Pro.jpg WP_20161227_13_56_13_Pro.jpg WP_20161227_13_56_36_Pro.jpg WP_20161227_13_56_59_Pro.jpg WP_20161227_14_04_12_Pro.jpg

Ok...lol...I have been out learning stuff since earlier. Turns out this engine is an "RB" block, cast crank, "902" heads,8.9:1 compression,
4.32 bore/ 3.75 stroke, built in Trenton 6/4/1974. From what I have gathered so far, the open chambered "902" heads flow as good or better than the "906" heads. This motor has the raised rib along the sides of the block just above the freeze plugs, thicker ears, 10% more cast iron in the block, good thick cylinder walls so I can bore it .60 over if I like, raised deck, increased sized cooling passages, and is classed as a truck engine. The scoop says the cast crank is fine up to 600HP as are the pistons and the block. So I guess my path forward will be to have the block and bare heads hot tanked, sonic checked, honed/bored .30 over, parallel decked, and hardened seats installed on the exhaust side. A 30 degree angle cut on the valves is also a good bet. Porting and smoothing, Gold Race rockers, new springs, small cam, 850 Demon, M1 intake, 2" carb spacer, high volume oil pump, 3/8 fuel line, new rings, performance gasket set, performance ignition. With those things installed it should put out 502 LB-FT @ 3700RPM, 512 LB-FT @ 4900RPM and 519 HP@ 5400 RPM. or thereabouts..lol.

Whew, u been reading a lot. You've got a sound plan for a good pump gas torque motor. 440 Source has good pics on their site with the "ribs" mentioned earlier. Looks like yours is a standard cast 74 truck block- figure 8 cooling passages, nice builder!
Congrats

Thanks, my buddy up the road has been hanging onto this motor since 2001. He has had it sitting in his big garage in the corner on the stand and has been oiling it up regularly since then. He has a 41 Dodge pickup and a 33 Dodge pickup, street rods, and a 66 Coronet 4 door and a 73 Charger SE. He was going to use it in one of the pickups but bought a crate 440 instead.

Auto Transport Service
Back