• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 to 904 adapter

cbodybob

Local time
11:48 PM
Reaction score
SMR sells an adapter to bolt a 904 behind a 440. My question is? Has anybody done this. I already know what a 727 is so I don't need to hear that. I have an application in my shop right now where this would benefit. 400 horse 440 RB & also a recent race built 904. Can this work in a 12 sec B body 3400 pound drag car or is it a waste of time & money.

We've run them in a 11 second cars, no issues. A friend of mine has run one in his N/SS 10.50 car for years. My son has a fresh 904 and T/A converter, with the heavy duty converter hub upgrade, Alto clutches, Koleno steels, bolt in sprag, 5 plate clutch, your choice of std or low gear set for sale if you're interested as well.
Doug

I heard racers have been putting the internals of a 727 into a 904 due to them being lighter and using them no problem. Like dvw said you just need to upgrade inside.

440 904 adapter

I heard racers have been putting the internals of a 727 into a 904 due to them being lighter and using them no problem. Like dvw said you just need to upgrade inside.

The tranny was built with parts from Mancini racings "race kit" & has a T/A manual valve body & PTC 3K converter. Is that good enough to handle a mild 440 in this application? If I didn't already have the tranny built I would just go with a 727....but got a deal on this 440 & want to go with it so I was looking at this adapter kit.

Isn't it the other way around? The 904 internals being smaller and lighter than the 727 spool up faster which in turn uses less horse power......and from info that I have, you use a 727 case to adapt for the 904 parts. Never heard of an engine to trans adapter to mate a 904 to a big block unless it's something fairly new.

nor sure on prices anymore or if still available

:iamwithstupid: maybe the JW Performance Ultra Bell @ www.racewithjw.com/catalog.php {download}, or something else from them might work, there's an adapter for the SB 518 to a BB adpt. plate it's pricey thou.... JVX Racing something like $675 from www.JVXracing.com/jvxcatalog.pdf page 13 {download} IIRC, neither is cheap....

Attachments

• JVX 518 to B-RB big block adapter kit 6-bolt crankshaft #44520 $675.00.gif
    JVX 518 to B-RB big block adapter kit 6-bolt crankshaft #44520 $675.00.gif
    32.7 KB · Views: 892
  • JW Performance Transmissions Ultra Bell 727 TF #1 564-92457.jpg
    JW Performance Transmissions Ultra Bell 727 TF #1 564-92457.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 576
Budnicks I think that's about the same price for the SMR vesion with an SFI rating. Apparently several companys make them. Trans adapters where more common back in the day. But not for racing purposes so much.

James I already have a good 904 race trans in the car. I came across a deal on a 440 & was only trying to see if they are worth marrying.

Isn't it the other way around? The 904 internals being smaller and lighter than the 727 spool up faster which in turn uses less horse power......and from info that I have, you use a 727 case to adapt for the 904 parts. Never heard of an engine to trans adapter to mate a 904 to a big block unless it's something fairly new.

I just confirmed the info with my dad who used to do it on some of his trans with an adaptor to go to a big block.

what are you hoping to accomplish?
I get the idea of a lighter unit but you are sacrificing durability
is it worth the cost to build a 904 to live behind a high HP motor?

I personally wont build any torqueflite to put behind a Hi HP motor unless a billet front drum is used
JMHO

what are you hoping to accomplish?
I get the idea of a lighter unit but you are sacrificing durability
is it worth the cost to build a 904 to live behind a high HP motor?

I personally wont build any torqueflite to put behind a Hi HP motor unless a billet front drum is used
JMHO

I already have the race built 904. Its the 400 horse 440 I have offered by a friend who wants to go back to a 340 in his dart. I'm just trying to NOT build a 727. His Dart ran in the 12's. My Satellite is about the same weight, actually a bit lighter, bigger slicks, more gear, more converter (Coming) so $1500.00 for the engine, $700.00 for adapter vs $1500.00 for the engine, $1500.00 for a 12 sec bracket 727 & $400.00 for another converter. In this application the lighter rotating weight means nothing to me. Its the light hit on my wallet that I'm interested in. Just want to see if this is feasible in MY application.

race built 904, what was done to it? I am looking at this from a safety standpoint does it have a billet front drum?
retired now but I have been in the transmission business for 30 years I have opened many units that were race built that were stock units with a half *** shift kit.

as far as money savings in the long run I believe it will cost years back I had a customer who insisted on runing a 904 behind his 340 and twice a year he would pull it and bring to my shop to have me go through it.
on the other side of the coin I have built THM 400's to go behind 440 because the racer wanted durability

please dont take comments any other way but positive not trying to be an *** or stir the pot
that is a front drum failure in the picture. in 79 I had a stock 400/727 in my 71 satellite, I had just bought the car drove it home decided to get on it flat punched it tires spun for a second than boom lucky it didnt come through the floor board. happens more than people admit

Attachments

• automatic_trans_failure_4.jpg
    automatic_trans_failure_4.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 967
race built 904, what was done to it? I am looking at this from a safety standpoint does it have a billet front drum?
retired now but I have been in the transmission business for 30 years I have opened many units that were race built that were stock units with a half *** shift kit.

as far as money savings in the long run I believe it will cost years back I had a customer who insisted on runing a 904 behind his 340 and twice a year he would pull it and bring to my shop to have me go through it.
on the other side of the coin I have built THM 400's to go behind 440 because the racer wanted durability

please dont take comments any other way but positive not trying to be an *** or stir the pot
that is a front drum failure in the picture. in 79 I had a stock 400/727 in my 71 satellite, I had just bought the car drove it home decided to get on it flat punched it tires spun for a second than boom lucky it didnt come through the floor board. happens more than people admit

Not wanting to argue here.
But I'm not buying the 727 vs 400 being a stronger transmission.
What I will say is you MUST have the right part for the build you are building and the part is going in.

600 plus pass's with my race car.
500 pass's with the tire's in the air.
If the tire's weren't in the air we missed on the tune up.
This is a 3000 lb car.
Make sure if something doesn't feel,smell or feel right abort the pass.
I pulled a driver out of his car at a Pink's Arm drop Live event who broke a crank and it looked like the trans above.

P7030783.jpg

Trans opened up each winter and parts replaced as needed.
IMG959055_zps7d7c4e30.jpg

Use the right part for the build.

Not wanting to argue here.
But I'm not buying the 727 vs 400 being a stronger transmission.
What I will say is you MUST have the right part for the build you are building and the part is going in.

600 plus pass's with my race car.
500 pass's with the tire's in the air.
If the tire's weren't in the air we missed on the tune up.
This is a 3000 lb car.
Make sure if something doesn't feel,smell or feel right abort the pass.
I pulled a driver out of his car at a Pink's Arm drop Live event who broke a crank and it looked like the trans above.

P7030783.jpg

Trans opened up each winter and parts replaced as needed.
IMG959055_zps7d7c4e30.jpg

Use the right part for the build.
NO ARGUMENT HERE!!!!
LOL Tried and true Mopar guy here hated to build a 400 to put in a mopar but customer paid for the unit!
I have also built powerglides to go in Mopars
the hardest sell I find is converters, I don't understand why people refuse to spend when it comes down to converters!

learned along time ago I do things right the first time!

PDFROGMAN I am %100 sure you have forgotten more about 727 trans that I will ever know. I am no trans expert. So to answer a few questions. As far as "race built" not going to split hairs here. All I know is I called Mancini Racing & ordered their 904 race kit. This was 7 years ago. Trans has been performing very well behind my small block. Picked up a half second from the "stock" trans. We all have stories about parts failures. Plenty of Chevys have been down this road. I can tell you about quite a few. A few years ago one of my employees told me he would never buy a Dodge truck. I asked him why. He began telling me about his buddys Ram. Said he has had the trans rebuild 5 times in the last 2 years......by the same guy even. I asked had they considered trying a different trans guy. The look on his face said it all. They had convinced themselves it was a Dodge problem. As far as TH400 behind mopars. My understanding was as usual price. Yes I have heard they are less likely to explode. But I don't think they are less likely to fail.
Powerglids my understanding is 1 less shift & lighter internals. Cant say I have ever heard anyone say a PG was more durable than a 727 all thing being equal.
Anyway I see your point of view. You don't think the 904 will last long behind the 440. You are probably right. I guess I will heed your advice & stay with the small block. You killed my buzz PDFROGMAN

PDFROGMAN I am %100 sure you have forgotten more about 727 trans that I will ever know. I am no trans expert. So to answer a few questions. As far as "race built" not going to split hairs here. All I know is I called Mancini Racing & ordered their 904 race kit. This was 7 years ago. Trans has been performing very well behind my small block. Picked up a half second from the "stock" trans. We all have stories about parts failures. Plenty of Chevys have been down this road. I can tell you about quite a few. A few years ago one of my employees told me he would never buy a Dodge truck. I asked him why. He began telling me about his buddys Ram. Said he has had the trans rebuild 5 times in the last 2 years......by the same guy even. I asked had they considered trying a different trans guy. The look on his face said it all. They had convinced themselves it was a Dodge problem. As far as TH400 behind mopars. My understanding was as usual price. Yes I have heard they are less likely to explode. But I don't think they are less likely to fail.
Powerglids my understanding is 1 less shift & lighter internals. Cant say I have ever heard anyone say a PG was more durable than a 727 all thing being equal.
Anyway I see your point of view. You don't think the 904 will last long behind the 440. You are probably right. I guess I will heed your advice & stay with the small block. You killed my buzz PDFROGMAN

sorry to kill your buzz you can go with a Big block and for the money you were spending on adapter you can build a 727
as far as 400's and powerglides as with most GM products parts are plentiful and cheap. the 400 is a good HD transmission and cost to build up the unit is reasonable and definitely works better in a trans-brake situation.
you can by a Power glide set up completely after market that would take a serious beating.
not my choice for a Mopar by any stretch!

I am sure you can move the 904 and put that towards a 727
again my participation in thread wasnt meant to stir the pot or kill a buzz

I just opened up a 47RE out of a 99 1/2 ram with a diesel, was built by a company known for diesels
this guy bought the unit second hand from a guy who paid 9 grand yes 9 grand had receipts to prove it.
the unit had stock clutches, billet input shaft and a billet accumulator!
receipt listed race clutches billet shafts race band.

that is why I asked what was done to the 904.
I have seen transmissions blow up and the car wind up on the roof!
best of luck! be safe!

Did it work out ok? any issues?

It worked out good, none for that time, course these were put into some good horse power motors but like everyone has said it wasn't just a swap, even though it had 727 internals they were still upgraded, just a lighter case on the 904, race clutch packs and drums, might have had hardened steel imputation shafts a bit stronger over stock, but not quite the billet ones now a days.

It worked out good, none for that time, course these were put into some good horse power motors but like everyone has said it wasn't just a swap, even though it had 727 internals they were still upgraded, just a lighter case on the 904, race clutch packs and drums, might have had hardened steel imputation shafts a bit stronger over stock, but not quite the billet ones now a days.
are you sure it was a 904 with 727 internals??

Auto Transport Service
Back