• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 wiring?

Willy The Kid

Local time
2:35 PM
Reaction score
Never built a mopar before. so the whole ignition system is all new to me. I bought a painless kit and couldn't be more disappointed with what I received. Does anyone have a easy to read ignition system wiring diagram pic? it would be so appreciated im pulling my hair out between the 2 prong ballast resistor, ecu, starter relay? it turns over but doesn't wanna fire. just sputters. Also do I need to run the voltage regulator or is that just there for generators?

Never built a mopar before. so the whole ignition system is all new to me. I bought a painless kit and couldn't be more disappointed with what I received. Does anyone have a easy to read ignition system wiring diagram pic? it would be so appreciated im pulling my hair out between the 2 prong ballast resistor, ecu, starter relay? it turns over but doesn't wanna fire. just sputters. Also do I need to run the voltage regulator or is that just there for generators?
the painless kit bought had how to wire a mopar ing system your did not come with that ?

Thank you BeepBeep. just what I was looking for. and the instructions are downloadable on the painless website for anyone to use. But they are literally follow step by step instructions and if you don't do it like that. Which I didn't. you are screwed and the wiring diagram that is on the backpage. the only large scale one is generic for all makes and models.

Its all wired correctly? Now im trying to figure this out. It has fuel.. It sputters a little sometimes. If I turn the key to the on position and test light the coil. It lights up. Should I be able to do that with the pigtail coming out of the distributor? positive on one and the other negative?

The pigtail out of the coil comes from the pick up when the reluctor pass it, it generates a very small ac signal that the ECU (control box) amplifies and sends the signal to the coil. Hope that helps.

When you say the pigtail out of the coil. I believe you meant to say the pigtail out of the distributor. If so yes that does help. Im going to go make sure im getting spark and go from there. I hope I can get it id love to hear this 440 come to life. should be pretty nasty sounding

If it sputters but won't run? Make certain the distributor isn't 180 off. Also make sure you've got plenty of timing advance, you can dial in with a light once it's running but static time it for at least 18 degrees btdc. And yep you need the voltage regulator!

It was sputtering... Now it wont do anything. I had a toggle switch wired up so I can kick it over from under the hood and last night I left the key in the on position and the brand new coil I just put on it made a huge mess. It wasn't 180 off. I checked probably 5 times cause that's the first thing I thought also. I would love to buy a distributor like my brother put on his stroker small block. it doesn't need a ecu. I just am so foreign to this. Im sure its like the #1 sin on this site to keep referring to chevy hei simplicity but god dang this is not going my way. Ill just keep throwing parts at it until my wife kills me or I get this hog running. I put the old coil back on it and put a spark plug on the end of one of the wires and grounded the plug. No spark.

just ordered a rtr summit distributor and a new blaster 2 coil. I guess I don't need to use the ecu or the ballast resistor with this set up.. wish me luck

Auto Transport Service
Back