• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

470 vs. 500 (400) Stroker?

Sweet5ltr

Local time
6:44 PM
Reaction score
Best stroker for street driving and utilizing a factory port window?

I'm leaning heavily towards the 470 for my intended application. Camshaft is a custom solid lifter (.526/.546, 235/243 @ .050, & 115 LSA). Not looking for peak power, as relatively speaking, widening the LSA and reducing overlap has a limited effect on peak HP/TQ output. Yes, I would love more cam, but no, I do not want to run more cam and limit durability.

9:1 CR.

Performer RPM or Victor intake manifold?

Any other recommendations?

Thank you for everyones thoughts and replies, ordering stroker kit on Friday.

http://store.440source.com/Stroker-Kits/products/3/
(part # 400.470.5076)

Last edited:
Seems I've read that the best way to stroke a 400 "b" is to throw a 440 crank in it, which I believe would be a 452?

470! did both, 470 and 500, with all parts equal the 470 made just as much power; if you believe the e.t. slips.

I think if I was to stroke it I would buy a complete balanced assembly.

that cam,heads & 470ci wont make power to 7k, more like 5800 ish

the problum is getting enuff air into the mill without boost. ..... I have put a few 475+ CI stroker big blocks together useing stuff from 440 source and thay all worked well ... till thay ran out of air about 5500 or so. Killer low end grunt tho. Good enuff for my W150 work truck .... but not much else.

451 stroker 3500 converter 4.10 gears 3800 lbs with me in it.Eddy heads torker 383 intake along with a 750 AFB. Comp 4.90 lift cam.11.90's in full street trim.One of the best running combos I ever had.

2005_PA.jpg

that cam,heads & 470ci wont make power to 7k, more like 5800 ish

5,800-6,000 is fine, forgetting about my super-mild UDHarold Lunati derived grind.

the problum is getting enuff air into the mill without boost. ..... I have put a few 475+ CI stroker big blocks together useing stuff from 440 source and thay all worked well ... till thay ran out of air about 5500 or so. Killer low end grunt tho. Good enuff for my W150 work truck .... but not much else.

Already running boost, going back N/A. Hoping I can huff enough air into this big-block to make good power on pump fuel.

Last edited:
My opinion, save the stroker money & buy a set of Trick flow heads. My 440 made 590 HP by 5800 with about the same cam ( same duration, more lift) 9.9 pistons

link is Trick flows on a 440

link is Trick flows on a 440

After four years of boost on hypertech pistons, #4 piston came apart with no signs of abnormal detonation in relation to other pistons. Cam went flat and lost a cylinder at the same time, not sure how exactly it happened but heads are okay, never touched the valve. Block has a .060 over bore so it's done, not worth messing with.

No way am I selling Eddy's at a severe loss to install Trick Flow's, I would buy them new without question, but not enough gains to justify on a street engine.

Ordering the stroker kit on Friday, any more advice relating to the differences would be helpful.

Last edited:
Sorry didn't know you had Eddys on it.

Sorry didn't know you had Eddys on it.

Not a problem, I appreciate any and all advice. Trick Flows are absolutely the best out there with a standard port window, I will get my Eddy's CNC ported eventually.

Everything I've read/heard says the 470 runs better than it should for street/occasional strip purposes. Having said that, I don't think you can go wrong with either. With the hockey puck pistons the thing will rev like mad and be torque monster.

Good heads are the key. flow is it. I have indy heads, c&c ported on my 400 and its also stroked to 511.

also the 115 lsa blower, n.o.s. cam ? you already have it ?

RPM is dual plane and Victor is a single and all things being equal, (street driven), I would choose the RPM just to move the power down lower... being tall than most duals should give a good top end...jm.02

go with the 512, thats is what I built for my street car Charger, I love it, torque is AWESOME.

My 511 does just fine with a standard port window in street trim. It's probably my favorite engine I've built for myself. Drives around like a 12 sec combo till you mash the loud pedal. I don't plan on driving any serious performance engine 50000 miles anyway without doing some bearing/ring maint. Why give up cubes, the 4.250 stroke falls right in the big blocks. Here's another way to look at it, if your at least making 1hp per cube plus the displacement difference

IMG_2151.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

Last edited:
also the 115 lsa blower, n.o.s. cam ? you already have it ?

Yes, custom turbo cam. Basically a Lunati Voodoo solid (one of Harold Brookshire's creations, best of the best for a solid .904 lifter profile concerning lift for given duration), it is nitrided and broken in. Check out my signature, gives the cars details currently.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back