• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

500ci stroker intake choice

91r/t

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:03 PM
Reaction score
Ok, I know there are a ton of articles on here but I want opinions from engine guys for my specific combo. I just bought my buddies 68 Charger that he had from his wife as he passed from lung cancer in May. I am trying to rid of the tunnel ram and 2 4's through the hood and stick with a good single carb and intake combo. I am a holley carb guy so that's where I am going to stay in that aspect. I have a 500ci 440 source stroker motor with edelbrock rpm performer heads that haven't had any massage work done to them. The cam is a XE295HL Comp Cams grind (.564/.564" lift) and compression is around 10.5:1. It has TTI 2" headers and a 3" TTI system behind that. Currently it has a Weiland tunnel ram and 2 demon 525's on it. I am thinking of going with the Torker II or the Edelbrock RPM as the Victor isn't a choice with hood clearance with the factory hood. Torker II is about a 1/2" shorter which is better for clearance but it is a street car mostly so I want something that will run good. I know I have 255/70/15 tires on rear with 4.10 gears and a 4 speed so traction is useless anyway but want some input anyways. I may stick 3.55 gears in the car down the road so I can cruise the highway a bit with it but for now it'll stay this way. Mainly I have never ran a single plane or had a big cube motor like this so want to make the more intelligent choice. As far as carb's go I was leaning towards the 850 DP from Holley as it flows more CFM than the actual 950xp so I am thinking that with the Torker II would run pretty good.....Ok Let's hear the ideas boys! Here's a pic of the car for attention.

68 charger 3.jpg

Last edited:
Street dominator or a Tm7 would be a good choice. The 500 cubes don't seem to really need the dual plane and the distribution seems to suffer a bit with the 2d. The old single planes actually work well on the big motors for street use.

I have a 511 low deck in my roadrunner. I run a six pack as well as a tm6 and a 1050 annular carb I built. The tm6 works very well and runs identical numbers to the six pack at the strip. Plus the distribution is way better. I just use the six pack (very similiar to a rpm) for the looks. I'm sure I'm leaving some hp on the table from what a big single plane would make, but then again the car is heavy and mainly street so the small single plane really has great drivability. The old 850 is a good choice, should have the 1.56 Venturi. My 1050 has a 1.59.

IMG_0765.JPG
IMG_2429.JPG
IMG_2532.JPG

Last edited:
I hear ya on the carbs....I was thinking the 850 DP because it'll flow 890 cfm roughly and it has the stock air cleaner base size unlike the monster dominator top plate. plus I don't think running the street i need to step up that high. I think 900 cfm should support what I am doing up to 5500rpm or so no problem. I am looking for a stout "ice cream and dinner getter" :lol:

The TM7 would be a great choice for low hood clearance and good response with a big motor. The 850 DP with some tuning effort will work great, especially with 4 spd & EDE heads. I had a Torker on my 500" motor with a smaller cam and 850 DP. great response. A TM7 would be better all around. My Victor with EDE heads & 585 cam with Victor manifold ran very nice on the street. TM7 at 5500 RPM will have great torque power.

What is all this TM7 mentioning? I see it looks like a newer version on the Torker? Can you still get this manifold. Some testing shows its better than the Torker II for down low and mid range which is better on the street.

Last edited:
What is all this TM7 mentioning? I see it looks like a newer version on the Torker? Can you still get this manifold. Some testing shows its better than the Torker II for down low and mid range which is better on the street.

It's an older intake, they pop up for sale though if you keep a look out. It's the RB version of my TM6

Ok....will keep a look out for one.

I'm running 512 kit from 440 source with 571 cam on 400 block. Using the torker single plane with 850 dp and 1 inch spacer. Goes good from start and top end is good. Fits under stock hood no issues.

Have thought of the rpm dual plane recently but that may wait for next year..

Good luck!

Ok, I know there are a ton of articles on here but I want opinions from engine guys for my specific combo. I just bought my buddies 68 Charger that he had from his wife as he passed from lung cancer in May. I am trying to rid of the tunnel ram and 2 4's through the hood and stick with a good single carb and intake combo. I am a holley carb guy so that's where I am going to stay in that aspect. I have a 500ci 440 source stroker motor with edelbrock rpm performer heads that haven't had any massage work done to them. The cam is a XE295HL Comp Cams grind (.564/.564" lift) and compression is around 10.5:1. It has TTI 2" headers and a 3" TTI system behind that. Currently it has a Weiland tunnel ram and 2 demon 525's on it. I am thinking of going with the Torker II or the Edelbrock RPM as the Victor isn't a choice with hood clearance with the factory hood. Torker II is about a 1/2" shorter which is better for clearance but it is a street car mostly so I want something that will run good. I know I have 255/70/15 tires on rear with 4.10 gears and a 4 speed so traction is useless anyway but want some input anyways. I may stick 3.55 gears in the car down the road so I can cruise the highway a bit with it but for now it'll stay this way. Mainly I have never ran a single plane or had a big cube motor like this so want to make the more intelligent choice. As far as carb's go I was leaning towards the 850 DP from Holley as it flows more CFM than the actual 950xp so I am thinking that with the Torker II would run pretty good.....Ok Let's hear the ideas boys! Here's a pic of the car for attention.

View attachment 498865
That car looks great! I'd keep the tunnel ram.
For a dual plane intake, the Performer RPM is good, but is as tall as many single plane intakes so hood clearance will likely be a problem. It was on my 505" stroked 440 in the '69 Coronet. On that car I went EFI, with an Edelbrock XT intake, but it makes the engine look like a GM now (but it fits under the hood.)
The Mopar M1 single plane intakes are good if you can find one. Not sure on the height with a 440, had one on my old 451" 400 stroker and it fit under the hood with a 1,000 cfm Holley HP and 3" filter with Moroso droped filter base.
I think the Holley Street Dominator is one of the lowest height 440 intakes. I will be using one for my Jensen Interceptor project (really limited hood clearance.)

Thanks man! Spent alot of time with him working on it over the years. :( I'll be keeping it for now while I start my search for a nice clean original hood. The biggest thing is I love the look of the stock lines of the 68 Charger so the tunnel ram kinda gets in the way of that. Love the look of the Cragars though.

I'm running 512 kit from 440 source with 571 cam on 400 block. Using the torker single plane with 850 dp and 1 inch spacer. Goes good from start and top end is good. Fits under stock hood no issues.

Have thought of the rpm dual plane recently but that may wait for next year..

Good luck!

Yea this being a 440 RB motor it is a bit taller but the 1" spacer is adding height as well back to your low deck. What are you using for an air cleaner?

In the '70's the TM7 was the "high RPM" version of a Torker. The TM7 was slightly larger runner dimensions than Torker. Would work great on a big inch fairly mild/moderate big block for mostly street use. Won't make the top end power that the new single plane tall manifolds (Victor, etc) but will still do the job for something less than MAX power effort.

91, that is true the 440 is a bit taller. I forgot to mention due to the spacer I'm running a 13" Mopar performance cleaner, a 3" filter with a 1" drop down base and all fits easily.

To save you some space, I believe there are larger drop bases, thinner filters (may not be best choice there though) the carb spacer will more than likely be needed.

91, that is true the 440 is a bit taller. I forgot to mention due to the spacer I'm running a 13" Mopar performance cleaner, a 3" filter with a 1" drop down base and all fits easily.

To save you some space, I believe there are larger drop bases, thinner filters (may not be best choice there though) the carb spacer will more than likely be needed.

Yea I am thinking Mancini sells that drop base for the Mopar air cleaner. That may be my best best.

I read a manifold shootout in a Mopar magazine and was impressed with the Torker. It's an old design but even against the newer design's it more than held it's own and they can be picked up pretty cheap. For the size of cam you have I think I'd be leaning towards the single plane as well along with an 850. I would try to get a good carb with adjustable air bleeds so you can work out any idle and off idle issues.

BTW nice Charger

Thanks 747Mopar.....I read the article too! The Torker II which is still available today brand new, has longer sweeping runners like the Tm7 has and I think it made 3 or 4 horse less than the old TM7 manifold, but for what I am doing I believe it will be more than fine. That way I don't have to hunt tooth and nail to find a nice one as I want to leave it the natural aluminum color and don't want an old beat up one either. They said overall in more tests they have seen better results with the II over the original . Probably depends on exact combo but either way I will be fine I am sure.....last guy to the ice cream stand loses!

:lol::lol:

Torker
The Intake: Edelbrock #3015
Type: Aluminum Single-Plane Four-Barrel
Rated rpm Range: 2,500-6,000
Max hp: 605.8@5,500 rpm
Max Torque: 608.4@4,700 rpm
Avg. hp 4,000-6,600 rpm: : 0564.6 hp
Avg. Tq 4,000-6,600 rpm: 565.5 lb-ft

Torker II
The Intake: Edelbrock #5091
Type: Aluminum Single-Plane
Four-Barrel
Rated rpm Range: 2,500-6,500
Max hp: 627.8@6,300 rpm
Max Torque: 593.3@4,900 rpm
Avg. hp 4,000-6,600 rpm: 565 hp
Avg. Tq 4,000-6,600 rpm: 563.3 lb-ft

Last edited:
I've got an Edelbrock Victor intake on my 1969 Roadrunner and it took some very serious work to make that that hood shut down but it runs great drop down base on the air cleaner

I've got an Edelbrock Victor intake on my 1969 Roadrunner and it took some very serious work to make that that hood shut down but it runs great drop down base on the air cleaner

Yea I am staying away from that setup due to the work involved to make it fit. The power gained for me isn't worth the headache I will ensue afterwards. :D:D

i know this isn't what your looking for but, this is the nicest driving/over all performance intake system i've ever used. this is on a stock stroke 440, mild mech cam, rpm heads, tti exhaust, auto trans (no loose converter), 3.23 gear. if it was a stroker i have no idea what i'd do with the extra torque. power is very smooth; easy to tune. big cubes want air.
100_0372.jpg

Pretty sure I got my drop base from Mancini's as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back