• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

6.1L Hemi Swap new Gauge Cluster.... Classic Dash VS Classic industries

-Z-

Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
I have a 6.1 in my 69 RR and its time to tackle the gauges.

I have a Hotwires harness with all the outputs for the digital gauges.

Does anyone have any suggestions for options...

The two kits im looking at are;

http://classicdash.com/product/1968-70-mopar-b-body-dash-panel-with-auto-meter-gauges/

and

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/b-body-road-runner/parts/*mb29008c.html

Here is my thread for the build
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/69-roadrunner-6-1-hemi-swap.108958/#post-910615652

I know you are indicated you were looking at the autometer gauges but have you looked at the Dakota Digital VHX line of gauges? They are a super clean install with just a single cat5 cable going to the back of the cluster and the gauges look mechanical. There is a I/O brainbox that you mount remotely and that is where all of your input wires go to... I have seen them in several retromods and the install looks great, easy, and clean (<- seems like I should make some sort of reference to the women I like, but I wont at this time... gotta stay classy!) I attached a link and I think you can order them through classic industries too....

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....t_id=939/category_id=679/mode=prod/prd939.htm

Both of the options you showed won't work in a 69 RR ( see the note excludes Satellite models)

I sent my cluster to Dakota digital and they converted It to a custom VHX unit. I also went with the GPS speedo to avoid that headache.

Here's what mine ended up looking like

Dakota.png

Yea goon is right. Those kits are for rally dashes. You can fit 3 3/8 SpeedHUt gauges with a custom enclosure

Basically use an old speedo housing, which has all the correct mount points then make a plate to go across the front and mount all the gauges to.

Basically use an old speedo housing, which has all the correct mount points then make a plate to go across the front and mount all the gauges to.
Almost stencil out the cluster?.. would that work? 18g steel? I can prob design that on CAD and have it cut.... I like it

I made a template out of some foam board. Yup 18ga or a nice machined piece for finished setup, this is what I have for a rough look. I plan to open up the back for more room for wiring too.
IMG_4283.JPG

IMG_4284.JPG

IMG_4285.JPG

I made a template out of some foam board. Yup 18ga or a nice machined piece for finished setup, this is what I have for a rough look. I plan to open up the back for more room for wiring too.
View attachment 409533
View attachment 409534
View attachment 409535

Your Garage is SO similar to mine I had to take a second look! :steering:

I will take a better look at mine and see...

Last night I installed the headers, starter and steering linkage, of course, the headers hitting the started....:mad:
I will attack the issue today and hopefully post some pictures.

Lol, yea mines a bit of mess right now. My car is off at paint and the kids have taken it over as their personal race track! Where is it hitting at?

Looks like this is what i have to do...

How much did it run for them to convert the cluster? Also.. how long did it take?

The base cost was $1300 and I added extra sensors and a GPS Speedo. I can't remember exactly but I think lead time was about 6 weeks. I sent them 2 cores the other one may still be there

The base cost was $1300 and I added extra sensors and a GPS Speedo. I can't remember exactly but I think lead time was about 6 weeks. I sent them 2 cores the other one may still be there

They wanted 24 weeks min and min $1500... I think im going to pass.

So is it possible to just use the old factory gauges on this swap? Other than having to buy the speedometer input devise. I want to use my original 68 gauges but I notice everyone is changing to something else.

So is it possible to just use the old factory gauges on this swap? Other than having to buy the speedometer input devise. I want to use my original 68 gauges but I notice everyone is changing to something else.

I believe you can use the stock gauges but it will take time, frustration and hours of "figuring out" which sending sensor will or will not work.

I ended up using a piece of sheetmetal and bent it to fit then wrapped it in vinyl. There's turn signals, highbeam, and oil pressure LEDs around the speedo and tach. The left side had a 90 degree tab to lock it in on that side and the right side is wedged in place so that it can be pushed in to remove. Time to start saving my pennies that Dakota cluster look great.

859.jpg

I ended up using a piece of sheetmetal and bent it to fit then wrapped it in vinyl. There's turn signals, highbeam, and oil pressure LEDs around the speedo and tach. The left side had a 90 degree tab to lock it in on that side and the right side is wedged in place so that it can be pushed in to remove. Time to start saving my pennies that Dakota cluster look great.

View attachment 418346

This is definatly a route i am considering... simple, easy and clean!

I really did not like Dakota's careless attitude.. and 24 weeks.... F- that!

The rivets in the corners are there mainly for aesthetics and to help hold the vinyl in place. This was the first build. If you attempt it the speedo and tach do not tuck in very well so that part of why it sits out. Base the build off those first. I also used the painless gauge wiring harness so that it can be removed if needed.

This was the first build. If you attempt it the spee
Thank you for the wise words... this dash cluster is one of my last steps... I keep avoiding it but one of these days....

Thank you for the wise words... this dash cluster is one of my last steps... I keep avoiding it but one of these days....
So If you use a converted cluster are you still using the old dash harness f or the lights, wipers and all the other switches in the dash

Auto Transport Service
Back