• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

63 Polara AC problems

fmahannah

1963 Dodge Polara Max Wedge Tribute
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:04 PM
Reaction score
I bought a 63 polara 500 that a previous owner had installed AC into and never got it to work.
Since I am in GA I really need to get this working so that maybe my wife will go to shows with me more often LOL.

Anyhow, compressor never kicks on. Fuse is fine. Since cam does not create much idle vacuum I figured I should start checking to see if vacuum is opening and closing doors. Removed the glove box and see that the fresh air vent is part way open all the time. Actually the large air duct hose itself is not touching the one side where it should. Not sure if air duct line is supposed to be connected to right side or if it is supposed to pull away to allow air recirculation inside the car?

Checked to see if any of the vacuum controlled doors were doing anything and they are not. Checked vacuum line at temp valve on heater box and have vacuum there. Watched that valve while operating controls to see if it moved and it did nothing at all. Figure it was the vac connections at the switch in the dash so I tore it all apart. Switch with pushbuttons is fine, someone modded a 5 button switch to be a 4 button and it's like new.

Then I noticed that the temperature slider on the control is cable operated. End at the pushbutton switch was connected, but moving it did not move anything on the controls behind the glove box. Did some digging and there is the other end of what appears to be a new cable just laying up there, not connected to anything. Since the temp control controls vacuum flow based on thermostats etc I figure it is stuck on heat/defrost and never goes into cold mode?

Can anyone show me where I can find images or something that shows where the end of the temperature control slider cable is supposed to be hooked up? I looked everywhere under there and can't see any obvious cable clamp or connection.

Thanks!

I figured out where the cable end attaches, but am missing the cable clamp that fastens in the area circled in red in this photo. If anyone has this clamp or can tell me what will work I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

clampneeded.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back