• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 Fury

-Ed

Local time
2:43 PM
Reaction score
My Son, 15, has decided to build an old Fury for his 1st ride. I'm sure this will be quite a journey so I figured I would track progress and share on here. Maybe it will help someone down the road as much as this site has helped me already!!!

We picked up the car here in West Texas for little more than a song. It's dinged up, rusty, and the motor is out of it and in 300 pieces. We pulled the thing to the house a few days ago and got to work on it. I want to stress at this point, this is not an attempt at a full on restoration. Just some hot rod wheels for my soon to be 16 year old. Although, we did find out, thanks to RollingThunder from this site, that this was a Commando 426 car when it was born.... :)

Last night we gutted what was left of the interior (there are no seats) and cleaned her out as best we could... Did a little sandblasting, and sanding...
IMG_1720.JPG
IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1730.JPG
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1733.JPG
IMG_1734.JPG
IMG_1735.JPG
IMG_1736.JPG
IMG_1737.JPG
IMG_1723.JPG

Shes pretty rough... and the Quarters are shot.... anybody ever have any luck with the rust killing primer? The roof is so pitted I'm going to have to trust something like that....

IMG_1740.JPG IMG_1741.JPG IMG_1745.JPG IMG_1746.JPG IMG_1747.JPG

Looks like fun! 64 Plymouths are some of my favorites.

Get the rust cleaned up and hit it with epoxy primer. From the pictures the car does not look that bad IMO.

Of all the early b's, 64's are still my favorite even though I have a way cool 65. I'm glad you have a project like this with your son. He will learn some very valuable lessons that pertain to cars in general plus life. Nothing beats problem solving and how it applies to everything around you. Car projects are an awesome way to decompress, get you creative, learn mechanical puzzles and you can say hey, I did this. And it will give the digits on his hands more exercise and dexterity than he could get playing with electronics. Working things out like this project helps immensely in your day to day life with inanimate and animate forms.

I also have a '65 that I love dearly but I honestly feel that the '64s are better looking cars. I'm excited to watch your progress!

Jeez... We have been sanding the roof for two days now... Once we knock the loose stuff off we have to switch to 220 Emory and wet sand to get to Metal... Dry sanding just won't take it all the way down and it EATS sandpaper... Gonna try Rustoleums "Rusty Metal Primer" once we get it down. Says it needs a top coat within 48 hours, presumably to seal it.

The good news is the roof is the worst part of the car (well, besides the Quarter-panels) so the rest should go a little smoother.

Jeez... We have been sanding the roof for two days now...
Ha! I believe it.
Look for a large (what I call) Scotch wheel. Either at a body supply shop, or maybe Home Depot. It's an abrasive wheel, used on a drill motor, or the like, for removing rust and paint. Watch someone use one on a 50s pickup one day, had it down to bear metal in three hours!

I was going to say your car's body looks pretty solid overall nice floor pans. West TX car shouldn't have ever seen salt! Original 426 car elevates the value...and hey congrats to your son for wanting to rebirth an old car rather than buy a Subaru with a semi truck size muffler on it!

Good choice and better find. Your son's 64 is in a lot better shape than what most guys start with. And for the roof, once your at bare metal, make sure to use an epoxy primer first of all. It will etch and fill, and give you a good base for everything else to adhere to. Will be keeping an eye on your progress.

I looked at "fast etch" but I think we got it down far enough with 250 grit and water! Wow... It will require a metric ton of spot Putty anyway before it's over....

Does anybody know what they used in the rain channels on these or know a good aftermarket product?

IMG_1752.JPG IMG_1753.JPG IMG_1754.JPG IMG_1755.JPG IMG_1756.JPG IMG_1757.JPG IMG_1758.JPG

That is a great project and looks to be in outstanding shape. Many here would kill for floor pans that nice!

On the drip rails, primer first before sealing. When I did mine, I used SEM Self Levelling Seam Sealer 39387 (uses a special gun) but it was far and away better that other seam sealers which are a pain to get smooth. It lays in and spreads out like syrup.

That is a great project and looks to be in outstanding shape. Many here would kill for floor pans that nice!

On the drip rails, primer first before sealing. When I did mine, I used SEM Self Levelling Seam Sealer 39387 (uses a special gun) but it was far and away better that other seam sealers which are a pain to get smooth. It lays in and spreads out like syrup.

Yeah, my floor pans ( or actually lack of ) looked like a Fred Flintstone vehicle . . . LMAO . . .

104630-680fba0ac774634db8410b060d5ff8fd.jpg

IMG_1783.JPG
IMG_1771.JPG
Decided to try a door panel... I think they turned out OK, and definitely more affordable than the $700 reproduction ones available. Started with some Hardboard from Home Depot ($9 for a 4x8 sheet), some padding and vinyl from Hobby Lobby (about $40 worth), and some spray adhesive.

First, put what was left of my best old panel and got it wet to trace it. It was buckled pretty bad.
IMG_1773.JPG

Traced all the holes and cut and drilled... the hardboard. Looks pretty close to what they used from the factory.
IMG_1777.JPG
IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1779.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG

Then sprayed and stuck the padding and vinyl. Turned out pretty good... I'm missing the bottom chrome strip for the drivers side if anyone has one. Anybody had any luck attaching the Fury badge at the top?

IMG_1782.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG

View attachment 444087 View attachment 444077 Decided to try a door panel... I think they turned out OK, and definitely more affordable than the $700 reproduction ones available. Started with some Hardboard from Home Depot ($9 for a 4x8 sheet), some padding and vinyl from Hobby Lobby (about $40 worth), and some spray adhesive.

First, put what was left of my best old panel and got it wet to trace it. It was buckled pretty bad. View attachment 444078

Traced all the holes and cut and drilled... the hardboard. Looks pretty close to what they used from the factory.
View attachment 444080 View attachment 444081 View attachment 444082 View attachment 444083

Then sprayed and stuck the padding and vinyl. Turned out pretty good... I'm missing the bottom chrome strip for the drivers side if anyone has one. Anybody had any luck attaching the Fury badge at the top?

View attachment 444086View attachment 444085
That is awesome, I'll send you mine !!!!...and the best part is you are teaching your son that what can/ can't be bought is often nicer when made by hand. The feeling of acomplishment will last so much longer than the memory of calling Classic or Summit.

Auto Transport Service
Back