• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

64 or 65 Hemi inner fenderwells

JPrusinows

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
Sure to stir up a contoversy. Just got back from Carlisle and I continue to see Hemi Super Stock replicas with class A surfaces on the inner fenderweels in the back seat.

That are painted and polished to perfection to match the dash in most cases and really look great. Also carpet is extra long to cover the space the old original carpet would have left when the back seats were deleted.

My question is were these truly finished to perfection like this from the factory? My dad recalls seeing them as just the way they would have looked in the day if you simply pulled the back seat out of a sedan! Carpet was too short and the inner fender wells were not finished to a class A surface and left in whatever they would have been painted when on the line. Hard for me to believe they would have taken the time and effort to make an extra long carpet set and sand, prime and paint the inner fender wells on less than 100 cars.

Just curious if any of the original guys remember what these inner fenderwells and carpets looked like on the Hemi cars?

We grew up in Hamtramck where the cars were built in the 60's and this is the recollection, rough as hell inside! Lol!

Any thoughts or insight appreciated.

I remember them as just as they came from the factory! Most guys finish or carpet that area now just to clean it up unless they are going for the factory correct condition!

I wasn't around back in the day but from all my research nice finishings was not a priority at all. This goes for the back carpeting, door and panel alignment, etc. This is part of the reason I love the 64/65. Who cares about looks when you have power! I especially love the story about bashing in the rear quarter lip to fit the bigger tires right from the factory in the hemi race cars in 65. People tend to over-restore these cars thinking it was perfect from the factory.

Wouldn't you want the best possible look for the money you spend?

Original vs restored vs over restored can be debated forever. Each to their own. I bet the majority of the cars discussed on this site are over restored. I guess my car could fall into the category of a replica, but I personally tried to make it look better than factory.

They make an old sedan with a 318 or even a slant 6 more interesting to me. The clones have been done to death, in my opinion.

0722171935.jpg
0722171935a.jpg
0722171935a.jpg
Working on mine now. Little bit at a time, but getting there. Trying to keep some Patina as well.

Thank you all for the replies.

Jeff

View attachment 497602 0722171935a.jpg 0722171935b.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back