64 or 65 Hemi inner fenderwells

1962 - 1965 Mopar

1. JPrusinows

JPrusinows Active Member

Local Time:
    11:32 AM
    Sure to stir up a contoversy. Just got back from Carlisle and I continue to see Hemi Super Stock replicas with class A surfaces on the inner fenderweels in the back seat.

That are painted and polished to perfection to match the dash in most cases and really look great. Also carpet is extra long to cover the space the old original carpet would have left when the back seats were deleted.

My question is were these truly finished to perfection like this from the factory? My dad recalls seeing them as just the way they would have looked in the day if you simply pulled the back seat out of a sedan! Carpet was too short and the inner fender wells were not finished to a class A surface and left in whatever they would have been painted when on the line. Hard for me to believe they would have taken the time and effort to make an extra long carpet set and sand, prime and paint the inner fender wells on less than 100 cars.

Just curious if any of the original guys remember what these inner fenderwells and carpets looked like on the Hemi cars?

We grew up in Hamtramck where the cars were built in the 60's and this is the recollection, rough as hell inside! Lol!

Any thoughts or insight appreciated.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • moparsteve636

moparsteve636 Well-Known Member

My Photo Garage
      Local Time:
      I remember them as just as they came from the factory! Most guys finish or carpet that area now just to clean it up unless they are going for the factory correct condition!

• Steve009

Steve009 FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
      12:32 PM
      I wasn't around back in the day but from all my research nice finishings was not a priority at all. This goes for the back carpeting, door and panel alignment, etc. This is part of the reason I love the 64/65. Who cares about looks when you have power! I especially love the story about bashing in the rear quarter lip to fit the bigger tires right from the factory in the hemi race cars in 65. People tend to over-restore these cars thinking it was perfect from the factory.

• glorydays

glorydays Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      Wouldn't you want the best possible look for the money you spend?

• 65hemi

65hemi Well-Known Member

My Photo Garage
      Local Time:
      Original vs restored vs over restored can be debated forever. Each to their own. I bet the majority of the cars discussed on this site are over restored. I guess my car could fall into the category of a replica, but I personally tried to make it look better than factory.

• KENTON

KENTON Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      10:32 AM
      They make an old sedan with a 318 or even a slant 6 more interesting to me. The clones have been done to death, in my opinion.