• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

65 coronet speedo question

mattsmopars

Local time
1:15 PM
Reaction score
So I installed a new napa speedo cable on my 65 coronet wagon the other day.
I put the correct colored gear in the trans and the new cable, but as soon as I take off the speedo goes all the way over to the right. It will not come back down until you back up either. So I am thinking the speedometer itself is bad and not holding any resistance against the needle. What do you guys think?
Thanks, Matt

I Would Say Your Right...What Color Gear Did You Put On? Does The Same Thing That Half-Azz Tach Of Mine Does. Goes From Zero To 8,000 In Mere Seconds. Don't I Wish?

It probably is your speedometer but I seem to recall putting one of those trim to fit cables in and I had the length a little bit to long. It did some strange things too. It`s worth a shot!

The cable is a 66-67 B body unit from napa i think it is 24 inches long. Anyway it is long , but using the 68 model 4 speed I had to change speedo cable. As for the speedo gear I looked at the chart with the tire diameter and gear ratio and matched it up. I honestly don't have to go 10 on the drive way to bury the speedometer. Like I said it also will not fall back on its own I have to put it in reverse to bring the needle back down. Thanks,Matt

speedo

The cable is a 66-67 B body unit from napa i think it is 24 inches long. Anyway it is long , but using the 68 model 4 speed I had to change speedo cable. As for the speedo gear I looked at the chart with the tire diameter and gear ratio and matched it up. I honestly don't have to go 10 on the drive way to bury the speedometer. Like I said it also will not fall back on its own I have to put it in reverse to bring the needle back down. Thanks,Matt

Matt

It probably has a bad speedo head.

Jeff

Auto Transport Service
Back