• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

66 and 70 - 8 3/4

Monkeymaster

Local time
10:21 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 66 charger with a 741 8 3/4, I also have a 8 3/4 out of a 70 charger that has a 489.
I plan on pulling the 741 out, and putting the 489 in its place.
I want to use a clutch type sure grip and plan on 3.73 or 3.55 grear set.
I know the 489 and 741 will swap each other out into either of the rear ends.
My questions are.
What other parts will swap between these two rear ends.
What, if anything, do I need to be aware of with the install of the sure grip, I vaguely remember something about the adjuster and or the axle spacer/button, that goes between the axles?
Is there any advantage of one year over the other, I thought the 66 was 3/4" narrower, so maybe tire selection would be greater , albeit only a little ?
Thanks in advance

The 489 is the cone-type sure grip. All the internals of the center section must be 489 parts, they do not interchange...the carriers themselves are the interchangeable part, though 741s use a smaller diameter pinion & yoke..axle spines are the same...not sure about the overall housing width, that varied by series (A/B/C/E) if you install the green axle bearings you eliminate the endplay adjuster and spacer

..and if you ask these folks which is better, green or tapered bearings just start your post with this...!
:popcorn:

..and if you ask these folks which is better, green or tapered bearings just start your post with this...!
:popcorn:
I don't think its a "which is better" thing, more of a "I'd rather not set end play" thing. I think most know tapered roller is the better of the 2 ! :lol:

66 housing is 54 1/4" flange to flange 70 is 54 15/16", 489 is the better carrier use that one

the entire sure grip unit will swap between any of the three cases.

gear sets and IIRC bearings are case dependent and do not swap.

Auto Transport Service
Back