• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Charger 8 3/4 rear end

Pulled the differential and have attached a picture....the thrust spacer and lock pin are missing. I may just reassemble with the original 2.94 and get the axle and brakes back on just to get the car going....just another decision...lol

thanks for the help...
View attachment 392322
You learned just like I did to always check those clutch type SG's lol. The cone type do not use that tiny thrust pin but use a very large one that is trapped and cannot fall out or come out with the axle. Another thing to always pay attention to and that is to make sure the splines are in alignment. Some will take them apart to rebuild and do not pay attention to that and then if they are not aligned, the axles will not fully seat. Welcome to the world of rear ends! :)

Looks like a pin of some kind? (Red arrow)
View attachment 392330
Yeah, I noticed that too. Need to get that out of there and see what it is....

when trying to look at the attachment it goes to an error....

OK...got it opened.....I see what you are talking about. Will head out shortly and see what I can find. Thanks for seeing things that I had not seen......this is now my nightmare...lol

what looks like a pin is the edge of the metal piece that the axle thrust spacer sets in. If you look close you can see the same on the opposite side.
I'll keep you posted on my success or failure....
thanks everyone

You learned just like I did to always check those clutch type SG's lol. The cone type do not use that tiny thrust pin but use a very large one that is trapped and cannot fall out or come out with the axle. Another thing to always pay attention to and that is to make sure the splines are in alignment. Some will take them apart to rebuild and do not pay attention to that and then if they are not aligned, the axles will not fully seat. Welcome to the world of rear ends! :)

Yeah, I noticed that too. Need to get that out of there and see what it is....

Cranky I'm the guy where the splines didn't line up. You certainly are right check everything!! A pain to make up something to line up splines. Modified a 6 foot piece of pipe to move it and line up.

Last edited:
what looks like a pin is the edge of the metal piece that the axle thrust spacer sets in. If you look close you can see the same on the opposite side.
I'll keep you posted on my success or failure....
thanks everyone
I gotcha! It's an optional delusion lol

I only ever saw a spacer captive on the side spider gear pivot shaft, with an elongated hole to allow sideways movement.
Not sure what these others pigs have.
Thought my current 8 3/4 3.23SG was from a 69 Chrysler, changed to the small 21 spline yoke and don't know if it's cones or plates...thought it's plates..It does groan nicely in slow tight corners.

Cranky I'm the guy where the splines didn't line up. You certainly are right check everything!! A pain to make up something to line up splines. Modified a 6 foot piece of pipe to move it and line up.
You ain't the first one that's ever done that lol :D
It does groan nicely in slow tight corners.
Something isn't right if it groans....

You ain't the first one that's ever done that lol :D
Something isn't right if it groans....
It doesn't groan much, just sounds like clutch packs slipping gently, the old whale oil additive helped, and it is locking the way it should..no other issues, and I'm talking real slow and real tight turning.
It's been that way 30 years and no problem.

thanks Guys for all the information.....I ordered and received the axle thrust washer and pin and installed it this morning. Installed the axles and the axle end play is now at about 0.010". Ready to install the new brakes and hardware and get the brake system filled and bled. Ready for spring to get here.

Carl

Auto Transport Service
Back