• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Coronet 440 on the Rock

Rockylguy

Local time
8:01 PM
Reaction score
The time as come to focus on my Coronet and begin the restoration and upgrade. From previous posts I explained that the original slant six was to be replaced with a 440 engine (70 block) that I purchased a year ago. However, this fall I bought a rear damaged 1966 Newport with a strong running 383 and good transmission (no problem to burn rubber...left marks in my driveway). I now have scraped this car, sold some of the parts I won't need and kept things that may come in handy...wiper motor, rear axle, side rearview mirror,...the list goes on. My plan is to use this 383 in the Coronet and keep the 440 engine for future use. Over the past few months I have been collecting some things needed for the conversion to V8. I have the K member and 8 3/4 rear axle but need the side axles. I have decided to convert to front disc brakes but was planning on using 11" drums for the rear. The car does not currently have power brakes and I'm undecided as to if I will leave as is or upgrade to power (opinions???). I intend to leave the interior original since it is in good condition (except for carpet!).

I'm sure that I'll have lots of questions over the next number of months but I'm looking forward to spending quality time in my garage doing what I love to do!

I've attached some pictures, including the 383....sitting and waiting. My hope is to have the car on the road for the summer of 2019....if life doesn't get in the way!!!Lol
P1050986.JPG
P1060082.JPG
P1060121.JPG

This is kind of ironic...I'm doing a big block swap on my '67 Coronet as we speak.We (the wife & I) plan to drive it to Fogo island & beyond this coming July.Looks like your very close by,would it be cool if we stopped in for a visit?

DSCN1864.JPG

This is kind of ironic...I'm doing a big block swap on my '67 Coronet as we speak.We (the wife & I) plan to drive it to Fogo island & beyond this coming July.Looks like your very close by,would it be cool if we stopped in for a visit?

View attachment 558512
I'm only about an hours drive from the ferry to Fogo Island and I lived out there for 8 years. Hope you can drop by for a visit. Fantastic beaches here.

How the heck did you find one of those without the grill surrounds mashed flat against the fenders...lol

Very nice 67 coronet good luck with your project looks like a very very solid start

Great looking project you have going on there, my man. Nice work. If I was upgrading to disc breaks I would go all the way and do power as well. That's a lot of horses to try and slow down!

After removing the chrome trim from the rear window and digging into the rusty lower corners, I found a small hole on the drivers side. The metal around it seems to be strong and now I must decide which "fix" is best suited for this. I also have a small hole in the front near the lower corner of the windshield that must be addressed.

P1060122.JPG
P1060125.JPG

This morning I ran water along the rear window channel and discovered a leak into the trunk from the passenger side also. I taped off both lower corners and blasted the area with glass beads to remove rust. The picture shows where the problem is on the passenger side and I was wondering if anyone has used J B Weld (Cold Weld) to fill and seal spots like this?

P1060131.JPG

Those look easy enough to weld in a small patch and be done the right way.

There will have to be some patches made but I'm only in the process of disassembly and getting a close look at what's required. You have to take the good with the bad and so far it's not too bad...I have seen a lot worst! Both doors are in good shape and the pillars are great.

P1060132.JPG
P1060114.JPG
P1060137.JPG
P1060139.JPG
P1060108.JPG
P1060113.JPG
P1060133.JPG
P1060134.JPG

After removing the chrome trim from the rear window and digging into the rusty lower corners, I found a small hole on the drivers side. The metal around it seems to be strong and now I must decide which "fix" is best suited for this. I also have a small hole in the front near the lower corner of the windshield that must be addressed.

View attachment 559004 View attachment 559006
I made patches for mine only the drivers side had a hole but both sides off the cowl to the windshield pillar were leaded from the factory and you cant mig weld lead lol

The "disassembly and discovery" phase continues and I'm getting a better idea of what is required to properly restore my Coronet. There are rust issues in multiple places but much can easily be patched. However, I will be installing a full floor pan since there is too much rust and I do not want multiple floor patches! I am blasting and painting (POR 15) various parts as I try to determine exactly what I need to buy.
There are numerous suppliers of floor pans and varying gauges of sheet metal used. Any opinions on which are the better suppliers, keeping in mind I'm in Canada and some US suppliers will not ship here?
You can see from the pictures the progress I've made and, if you look at the interior pic of back passenger wheel well, the poor attempt at addressing rust issues by a previous owner. :eek:

P1060216.JPG
P1060218.JPG
P1060220.JPG
P1060219.JPG
P1060141.JPG
P1060213.JPG
P1060214.JPG

Amd seems to be the best fit. National Moparts here in ontario can get them and will probably ship them to you.

Fun times ahead! Keep at it.

Floor pan ordered from National Moparts along with new fuel tank and sending unit. When I removed the gas tank strap, the tank was corroded under the strap and began leaking when I disturbed the rust.

Man, I like that car.

My second Mopar was a 67 in that same color, but was a white hat special with a 318 and auto, and IIRC those were the only options. Manual steering. Was actually pretty easy to park.

Waiting on the floor pan which is expected to be delivered by the end of the week but still plenty to do. Seats are off to auto upholstery to have old stitching removed and replaced, various suspension parts and backs of bumpers cleaned and painted with POR 15, had to reinforce front bumper mounts which had some severe rusting, cleaning and labeling other parts. Decided to try some 3 D wall art!

P1060162.JPG
P1060160.JPG
P1060232.JPG
P1060230.JPG
P1060234.JPG
P1060242.JPG
P1060250.JPG
P1060257.JPG
P1060246.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back