• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 Master Cylinder install manual drums

Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
Hello, new to forum. Installing new/repro Bendix style master cylinder on a 67 coronet with manual drum brakes. While it isn't a show car, I kind of have to get it as close to original as possible. Do 4 mounting studs go into the master cylinder then through firewall, or do they go from interior of firewall out into engine bay?
Jim

Last edited:
Take a look at the sticky thread on mounting plates. Should help to see if you have the right one. If memory serves, think the studs mount on the plate itself.

Welcome aboard!

Take a look at the sticky thread on mounting plates. Should help to see if you have the right one. If memory serves, think the studs mount on the plate itself.

Welcome aboard!
Excellent found some pics there. Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately, you were correct so it's a spine twisting venture to tighten the nuts in under the dash.

Excellent found some pics there. Thank you for the tip. Unfortunately, you were correct so it's a spine twisting venture to tighten the nuts in under the dash.

From what others have posted, one of the top nuts is almost undoable without removing parts in the car. Some of the posters have left off that nut when reinstalling a new master and just used the 3 studs. I have to replace the MC on my 70 Satty when I do my front disc conversion (front disc/rear drum) and will find out then. Let us know how it works out.

PS- Welcome from NJ. Parev, inch bessess? One of my best buddies taught me some Armenian. LOL

the top left nut is a pain but can be done with some patience took mine out and reinstalled with all 4 bolt and nuts just need the right adapters I eve did it with seat still in

Yeah did my master cylinder wouldn't it be nice if the nuts went on the outside of the firewall!

Installing new/repro Bendix style master cylinder on a 67 coronet with manual drum brakes.
I'm pretty sure it was a 67 MC I used on my conversion. That being said, I 'think' the needed studs, are hard to find, if even possible. Just to bring up the subject. You might have to retro fit some.
Mine was going on my 64, and I used my original 64 studs, making them work.

Top right nut inside difficult to get to. I might have just got lucky but put a little sticky grease on nut placed it in a wiggler socket with a loooong extension turn it by hand until it started. I tried every other tool in my box This actually worked I Did not remove any other part hope this makes it easier for the next guy :thumbsup:

Yeah, don't leave it off. I found the 1/4" ratchet with extension and wobble joint did the trick. You can even start the nut with that setup. Once it's tight with that setup grab the 3/8" ratchet and tighten.

Auto Transport Service
Back