• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

67 RT spring relocation and mini tub

Bigal75

Local time
5:43 PM
Reaction score
Quick question, does anyone know if the wheel opening in the rear need to be stretched to fit a 315 /60 r15 tire on a 67 Coronet?

If you're planning on doing the work to open up the wheel wells, you might as well take them all the way to frame rail and eliminate any concerns that you didn't go far enough. Plus, the frame rails are a great place to reattach the wells and get you a very solid result. The end result will look like this . . .

sm_bodywork09-jpg.jpg

Quick question, does anyone know if the wheel opening in the rear need to be stretched to fit a 315 /60 r15 tire on a 67 Coronet?
Yes, you’ll never fit a 315 in a factory 67 coronet well, I have 275’s on mine and there’s no room for anymore tire

E638AA44-AE67-4759-A72B-8699C01A611C.jpeg 996EEA07-AA4A-4FF1-A5DB-195652975900.jpeg

I don’t believe the wheel opening will have to be altered

How much trouble is it to get the 275 off and on the car with stock opening? Has to be tight.

Yes the wheel well had to be altered. I'm talking about the wheel opening.

I opened mine up . . . on the front of the wheel well, I move the lip to the inside well . . .

Like this . . .

196788-b8ecff2331222cc4e07a17ae1e1a07b4.jpg

But I don't have my tires in the opening to tell you how much it'll help . . . yet . . .

How much trouble is it to get the 275 off and on the car with stock opening? Has to be tight.
Ya I had to wrestle them for a while, unbolt shocks and deflate the tires wrestle it for a good 20 minutes

Ya I had to wrestle them for a while, unbolt shocks and deflate the tires wrestle it for a good 20 minutes

I see. I have a set of 275 drag radials from our 68 GTX that I was going to try on the R/T. Don't think I'm up for all that. It looks pretty cool though.

I see. I have a set of 275 drag radials from our 68 GTX that I was going to try on the R/T. Don't think I'm up for all that. It looks pretty cool though.
It’s worth the fight, it was easier when I had the leaf spring set up, seemed harder with the 4 link now. Either way it’s worth the time IMO

In the process of mini-tubbing a '69 RR. The issue I have going flush to the frame rail is that frame lip gives the rail rigidity. Cut the lip off and all you left with is a thin flat side that's now prone to flexing.

Regardless of what you do, keep in mind the frame narrows front to back. If you go right to the rail your filler strip will need to be pieced in and the rear will be wider than the front.

I've put a Michelin truck tire, 31 10.50 15 on a 7 inch rim under my 67 R/T. I was experimenting with my 5.13s. I did have to remove the lower shock mount to install them.

I did a spring relocation and mini-tub job on my 67 coronet 500. Had I thought of it, I would have lengthened my wheelbase and moved the rear axle back 1 inch. The stock axle location is biased towards the front of the opening and the extra inch would have allowed me to easily run a 30 inch tire. As it is, a 29” inch would be very close. You’re still going to have to deflate the tire and possibly unbolt some hardware to wrestle them into the wheel well. That part is worth the effort. I’m running an N50–15 and the wide tire completely changes the attitude of the car.

Auto Transport Service
Back