• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68-70 Charger owners. Do you use your original jack?

The Rebel

Local time
11:21 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone actually uses the original jacks that came with their car in case they need to change a flat tire on the road or if you use a modern one.

Just wondering if anyone actually uses the original jacks that came with their car in case they need to change a flat tire on the road or if you use a modern one.
I wouldn't even consider using it....Just get a scissor jack and store it safely in the car....

I remember them being unstable and was curious if anyone actually use it rather than show & tell.

I wouldn't even consider using it....Just get a scissor jack and store it safely in the car....

I remember them being unstable and was curious if anyone actually use it rather than show & tell.
For most the jacks are restored....also, I think you know what they cost.....

Lastly, unstable is an understatement.....

Simple logic applied here, bodily harm or costly vehicle damage VS a cheaper safer alternative....

Scissor jack is my choice, original jack missing (must be together somewhere with all the matches of socks that I can't find anywhere).

What's interesting is the factory must have known that these were unstable and put people at risk. The scissor jack is more stable for side of the road use for flat tire fixes as no one carried a floor jack in their car.

And it's funny that (I believe) the Superbird had the factory scissors jack AND the bumper jack. The scissors jack alone would have been satisfactory.

I'm probably going to get this one from Pep Boys.

upload_2017-10-6_14-51-16.png

Bought a Sears mini floor jack. Friend sold his Belvedere in 1972 to a guy and he used 2 bumper jacks to raise the car. Bumper bent inward, looks like 2 up arrows. He bought it back a couple of years later. Why use a bumper jack and screw up a show chromed bumper?$$$

Ouch!

Bought a Sears mini floor jack. Friend sold his Belvedere in 1972 to a guy and he used 2 bumper jacks to raise the car. Bumper bent inward, looks like 2 up arrows. He bought it back a couple of years later. Why use a bumper jack and screw up a show chromed bumper?$$$

Nope, floor jacks and a lift are all I use. Made extra room for my stereo too lol.

Back in the 80's, i used the bumper jack all the time on my first 70 Satty. Never had a problem.

Never. My bumper jack has been in place and not removed since I bought the car in 1985. I carry a small hydraulic jack in a box if I go anywhere at all.

While looking for jacks, came across this one (which I'm not getting) but not sure if I'd trust the bolt holding the top pc on.

upload_2017-10-6_16-4-53.png

Hit your local junkyard.

This is out of a '92 Dodge Dakota. Well made and I've used it for all kinds of things. The lug wrench part is somewhere around here.
20171006_174240.jpg

I'm comfortable using it and have used it to see if it still worked. Granted my cars are not show cars but made to be used. I changed a flat on my 62 outside of Albuquerque with only the bumper jack. Plus I adjusted the front hub bearing while I was at it. :)

Back in the day I remember useing two on the front bumper to get it high enough to pull the trans. Used blocks under the suspension for safty. I've also had them go sideways when not on stable ground. You have to use common sense when useing one.

They're good for jacking out dents and bent fenders!

How many times have you pinched your hand in one when letting it down? They're good for a blood blister!

Auto Transport Service
Back