• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger 440 R/T Restoration

SimDog

Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
Hey all you Mopar fans!

I am new to "forbbodiesonly". I recently acquired a 68 Charger 440 R/T from my neighbor that had it sitting under a tree for almost 20 years. Needless to say it's going to be a MAJOR project. Here are a few pictures to get started.

IMG_20160916_125313288_HDR[1].jpg IMG_20160916_125259489_HDR[1].jpg IMG_20160916_125326821_HDR[1].jpg

This is my vision for what I call a mild Resto-Mod.

SatinBlackCherryChargerProfile.JPG

Great project. 68 is my favorite. Welcome. More specs on the car? Does it have the drive train?

Welcome!, Of course 68 is my favorite also. They have the best looking rear end. I am excited to see this thread. You have a good start. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

Welcome!, Of course 68 is my favorite also. They have the best looking rear end. I am excited to see this thread. You have a good start. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

Thats my thought too. Straight across the board, dodge or plymouth. Each model b body in 68 has the best ***, and taillights

Looks like a quick cut and buff with a tune and she will be good to go. Maybe change the fluids too lol!

Great project, looking forward to progress pics!

Great project. 68 is my favorite. Welcome. More specs on the car? Does it have the drive train?
Hello 68GTXNH,

Unfortunately this car came with no drive train. I have acquired a 440 from a Motor Home which I am going to build up to around 450hp. When I get to the motor part of this build I will include all the specs on it. Since this is going to be a mild Resto-mod some parts are not going to be stock.

Hello 68GTXNH,

Unfortunately this car came with no drive train. I have acquired a 440 from a Motor Home which I am going to build up to around 450hp. When I get to the motor part of this build I will include all the specs on it. Since this is going to be a mild Resto-mod some parts are not going to be stock.
Motorhome 440s are awesome starts. Already come stock with a six bbl rotating assembly. Ready to go for a strong build. Frankly 1hp per cubic inch is undershooting, a 500hp motor is very easy and a great number to make you smile with these heavy cars. My 70 monte carlo has 500hp any less for such a heavy car wouldnt be nearly as entertaining. And thats just in straight line. Doing a restomod and make that handle and itll be a blast

Motorhome 440s are awesome starts. Already come stock with a six bbl rotating assembly. Ready to go for a strong build. Frankly 1hp per cubic inch is undershooting, a 500hp motor is very easy and a great number to make you smile with these heavy cars. My 70 monte carlo has 500hp any less for such a heavy car wouldnt be nearly as entertaining. And thats just in straight line. Doing a restomod and make that handle and itll be a blast
This is my wish list for the motor:
Speed Pro 440 Six-Pack Forged Flat top pistons w/moly rings, Stock crank and rods, New Main and Rod bearings, Oil Pan w/windage tray, cleaned up stock heads w/75deg 3 angle valve job and some mild porting (2.08 intake and 1.81 exhaust valves), Edelbrock 7194 Performer RPM Camshaft Kit,
Edelbrock 7193 Performer RPM intake, MSD Distributor w/electronic ignition coil and wire set,
Hooker HOK-5903HKR Headers 1 7/8 tube
should hit between 450-500hp

This is my wish list for the motor:
Speed Pro 440 Six-Pack Forged Flat top pistons w/moly rings, Stock crank and rods, New Main and Rod bearings, Oil Pan w/windage tray, cleaned up stock heads w/75deg 3 angle valve job and some mild porting (2.08 intake and 1.81 exhaust valves), Edelbrock 7194 Performer RPM Camshaft Kit,
Edelbrock 7193 Performer RPM intake, MSD Distributor w/electronic ignition coil and wire set,
Hooker HOK-5903HKR Headers 1 7/8 tube
should hit between 450-500hp
Motorhome heads are junk.probably the worst stafting point of any head. Ive yet to read anyone making them worth a damn. Because the motorhomes were all cabovers, motors tucked way up under, with no airflow, they have extra water jackets to try to keep things cool, this intrudes on intake and exhaust runner geometry and makes walls thinner so you cant even carve out and form them as you would in an old school port and polish. Its best to save up a little more and get any number of the heads people have recommended on the forum. The wasiest thing would be to get the performer rpm heads to match your whole top end, they are already made to all work with eachother. Find one of the free calculators online and play with the head cc's and headgasket thickness. 10.5 c/r is strong but if youre willing to run premium gas, a thinner headgasket can bumpnyou way up in c/r and in turn, power. Then once the heads are mounted, gasket portmatch the intake, it should be close but stupid little things like smoothing out a hard edge that causes turbulence on one cylinder frees up alot of free hp. Then when you get it on the dyno tune it for the biggest torque number almost ignoring hp and you wont be disapointed.

Auto Transport Service
Back