• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Charger stock fan?

91r/t

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:47 AM
Reaction score
I have a 68 Charger with a 4 speed. This has the 26" radiator. Trying to cool it down a bit and am debating whether to run the 7 blade steel fan or a 7 blade viscous type fan. I have a thermal 7 blade clutch fan and a standard 7 blade fan. Car has a 500" built stroker and an aluminum radiator but I am taking the electric fans off because they draw way too much amperage for this charging system. Melting of the bulkhead and wiring is occuring. Which way would you lean non clutch or clutch/viscous? What came stock on them the clutch on the 26" radiator car correct?

I'd go clutch or viscous, direct drive is for those cars, in my opinion, that don't have the room, such as A body's.

I am not running a shroud if that makes a difference. The only thing I was worried about was for the thermal clutch, not reacting due to being out in the open but not sure how much of a diff that will make. If I go viscous then it won't matter temp wise.

You NEED a shroud! You'll be amazed at how much better your temps will be.

I have no mounting tabs on the rad.....no provisions for it at all.

Then drill the flange fir a 10/32 machine screw. Either way, you need one.

I will have to look at the rad to see if there is even a flange there to drill. Might have tabs ont he side I can make something work. Need to find a shroud now.

Post a pic of what ya got.

Will do tonight when I get home and can snap a pic in shop.

Leaning towards the viscous over the thermal if I do go that way though.

Looks like I have a rail to screw a shroud to! Awesome! Also the electric water pump is going too....mechanical is way more reliable.

rad1.jpg
rad2.jpg
rad3.jpg

Perfect. Now get ya shroud, about 140 from Summit and your set.

Plus the fan. I am going to try running my solid 7 blade fan for now because I have it and it doesn't cost a thing. Only a few more weeks before winter here then I will revamp for spring. Will it rob some power? Yes. But do I care with a 500 cu in and a 4 speed with 4.10's...nah. I fully agree with you on the shroud and fan but 350 bucks 3 weeks before storage is a bit high for me right now.

Hey, a direct drive might even be better, get a shroud & you'll probably be smiling. My 26" shroud came off a C-body I think. Everyone worries about horsepower loss with direct drive, but heck, street driven mostly, who cares? ur not looking for every last .10second.

Yea I wasn't really planning on buying this car as my buddy passed from Cancer and I was offered it from the family. Alot of memories working on it with him so I am into it for some coin and am just happy I was able to snag it. Gonna take a spending break and lose some power and use parts I have for now. My runner with the solid fan and no shroud runs 185 all day long so I'll try it and see. Also not to hot here in NY this time of year so good time to experiment.

Auto Transport Service
Back