• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Coronet/Charger roof swap restomod?

ETD66SS

Local time
9:16 AM
Reaction score
I'm wondering. Has anyone ever tried to restomod a 68 Coronet by putting a 68 Charger roof/back window/top of quarters/etc on the Coronet?

Is it possible?, what would be involved? Would be nice to keep the Charger filler cap too.

Charger 500?
1969-dodge-charger-500.jpg

It would be easier to graft Coronet quarters onto a Charger body. The doors, fenders and everything else would be easy to unbolt and replace.
The inner structure of the C pillars is pretty complicated. Sure, a person with extensive fabrication skills could do it but are you THAT guy?
It is also possible to leave the inner structure intact and just overlay the Charger rear window channel and long C pillars onto the Coronet. Then there is the matter of the trunklid, the dutchman panel, the rear window and the trim pieces. Then you have to figure a way to finish off the speake deck, the headliner...

OK, was just wondering... I've always loved 68/69 Coronets, but one area I don't like is the back roof C pillar area. It's not sleek enough for me. Just wondering if anyone has ever done this is all.

There was a guy on FABO that somehow grafted a 68 Barracuda rear section to a 68 Dart. I think the screen name was Cudart ??? He just vanished before finishing the car. Impressive job on his part, very interesting stuff. I like some of the custom stuff if it looks right. I'm not some OEM correct purist. I do prefer to see Mopar engines in our cars though. I won't yield on that one.

There was a guy on FABO that somehow grafted a 68 Barracuda rear section to a 68 Dart. I think the screen name was Cudart ??? He just vanished before finishing the car. Impressive job on his part, very interesting stuff. I like some of the custom stuff if it looks right. I'm not some OEM correct purist. I do prefer to see Mopar engines in our cars though. I won't yield on that one.

I'm not a purist, unless the car is a complete numbers matching survivor or something. If were talking two base cars, one being a parts car, then I am for this kind of mod. ofc I'd like to see pictures of someone who has done it first ;)

What would really be cool is if we soon can download 3D CAD laser scans of these old cars (like these http://www.vehiclescans.com/resources). I am a Mechanical engineer who uses 3D CAD all day long and I could put together a mockup model of the mod on the PC before cutting any metal. I hope someday 3D laser scans are easy to come by for ideas like this.

It would be easy enough to create the tunnel back "C" pillars out of sheet metal without getting into anything else. You take some stiff template paper and mock them up and tape them up to get a visual. If it looks good build them out of some sheet metal and weld them on. Just like adding fins to the existing "C" pillars.

Auto Transport Service
Back