• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 GTX Running Hot?!?

Thx for the info everyone. I was surprised to read how the thermostat works, +15-20* over rated temp to open.

I got the 180* Superstat, 45478. Got it home and compared to the other Stant thermostat I took out and either I already had a Superstat or they're the same as a regular Stant thermostat. I sure couldn't see any difference.

Anyway, everything is flushed and put back together. Fill it up and run it tomorrow night.

Edit - Just checked my RockAuto orders and I already had the Superstat.

Something to think about is you have 2 gauges so I'm assuming the sending units are at different locations on the motor which could account for the variance.
If you want to confirm water temp get a rad cap with a thermometer in it. Heat guns will not be acurate when compared to a thermocouple/rtd type sending unit. The IR guns especially the cheap ones are affected by emisivity ( ammount of reflection of an object) of different materials, especially metal surfaces. They may be close but not accurate...

Both sending units are close, both are up by the heater hoses.

Last update - filled it with green antifreeze and water, started up and burped it for sure. Basically it runs about the same as it did before. I think it runs between 190-200*, which is perfectly fine. Never overheated or anything. I'm done obsessing about the guage and temp, I'll live with it.

Water neck does not leak. Seems the threads being full of dirt was the problem there, bolts were not tightening the housing even though it felt like it. If your using the stock bolts there is very little tolerance, the bolts are pretty close to bottomed out.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies!

Auto Transport Service
Back