• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Roadrunner Exhaust Replacement

Ed Martin

Local time
2:07 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the original Roadrunner 383 had chrome exhaust tips and what size diameter piping was used?

Believe they were an option. I have seen them with both. I believe the factory tail pipes and tips were 2.25"

Well, here's a pic of mine, I believe they are right for the car but not 100% sure. I really like how they look.

IMG_5432.JPG IMG_5412.JPG

Square tips for Dodge, oval for Plymouth. Pet peeve of mine and alot of people I know if people put the Dodge tips on a Plymouth or visa versa.
:thumbsup:

They were an option for the RR while stock for the 68 GTX. Oval in shape not sure of the pipe diameter. Nice looking in any case.

Hi Ed,
OEM set up was 2.25" before and after the mufflers. Tips were an option. Like others said oval is for your road runner and they look great.
Accurate exhaust accurateltd.com sells exact repop exhaust for this. I recently just purchased their hemi mufflers for my road runner as the stainless Dynomax ones I had on the car had a terrible drone. Very happy with accurate.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Square tips for Dodge, oval for Plymouth. Pet peeve of mine and alot of people I know if people put the Dodge tips on a Plymouth or visa versa.
:thumbsup:
Yep, my road runner has the rectangular tips. It was like that when I got the car in 1977, I like them and they're staying.

Hey man more power to ya! I wish I wasn't so friggen **** and certain things bothered me less. Hell back then you were just lucky to have tips on the car that weren't screw ons from western auto or another generic auto parts store!
:lol::lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back