• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger Automatic Console Wood Grain Help

Stylin'

Local time
12:17 PM
Reaction score
Hello Guys and Gals,
Does anybody reproduce the wood grain inserts in real wood? I have looked everywhere I can think of and all I can find is vinyl stickers. Not building a show car but would prefer the real thing over fake/simulated wood. Thanks in advance!

Being that thin I would think it could be easily made out of a veneer.....but I do not know of anyone...

If you do this come back and post some pics...

Watching. 4 speed, but different non-matching grains on mine.

That's what I was afraid of, No one is reproducing the actual wood grain yet. Looks like I'll order the Mopar Plus vinyls which come on new aluminum backing plates. I really would like to drive this beast before mid-August so once I get it running I'll attempt the veneer on my original backing plates. Moparnation & Dennis: Thank You both for replying, your wisdom is appreciated!!

Being that thin I would think it could be easily made out of a veneer.....but I do not know of anyone...

If you do this come back and post some pics...
Sounds like a doable project for anyone with some basic wood working skills.

Using an epoxy adhesive and some cool veneer would be a great project! I think I have some Hawaiian Koa around from my snowboard building days...I should dig it out.

Yes, that is beautiful wood. If you have any veener how much for a piece long enough to do a console?

image.jpeg
Here is a picture of the misaligned, mis matched, junk collecting rattle box.

That is pretty much what mine looks like. The shifter plate is fine/usable but the wood grain on the door and rear chrome cap is severely faded and has an ash/grey color to it. My door was also misaligned but some shims/washers between the hinge and console took care of that.

Yes, that is beautiful wood. If you have any veener how much for a piece long enough to do a console?
I'll poke around and see if I can find it. I really don't believe I would toss it...but stranger things have happened.
I'll post pics of what I find.

This particular piece is 13x10".
Stripes are on all pieces as they are off-cuts from snowboard top-sheets. I imagine if they're to be used as console tops the stripes would run horizontal...unfortunately.

20170525_171652.jpg 20170525_171625.jpg

That is a really nice wood and the color is even close to the original. Too bad about the cut-off stripes. The vinyl is what all the vendors sell and what I ordered for now but I'm looking for authentic wood/veneer as a permanent fix. I'm sure I can order some from any wood supplier but Koa would have been awesome. Thank you! I'll post when I tackle that project, I'm going to use the original inserts after I remove them to install the re-pop inserts with vinyl stickers. However, I won't get to this until after I get the car running.

Auto Transport Service
Back