• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Charger For Sale On CL - Opinions Needed

The Rebel

Local time
1:07 PM
Reaction score
Hey all. Got my eye on this one but need some input: http://www.ebay.com/itm/222371457957?ul_noapp=true

I asked the guy if it was #'s matching but got this response: I believe motor and tranny match. But i have not checked. So no guarantee. It has the fender tag. Originally it was a copper color according to the tag. I do not have a build sheet. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks

Yes pictures are recent. And yes everything looks better in pictures. It does have its share of scratches and chips and some small bubbles in the paint. Bubbles are mainly the lower rear quarters. Was restored a long time ago. But it's a solid piece not like all these other chargers that need everything. If you want it for show and really nice, I suggest a little bodywork and a new paint job. I believe the only thing currently not working is the radio. All the lights and gauges do work. It was originally AC car but most everything is missing for the air conditioning. Will try to get you close up pictures.

Last edited:
Anywhere where there are bubbles in paint, that is definite rust underneath. It may look small on the surface but the cancer may be spreading underneath depending on where it is located. Ask for pictures of both sides of the lower quarter painted outer skin and the opposite side where the quarter drains are, pics need to be taken of the lower rear quarters from underneath. You need pictures of the frame rails and door jambs, rocker panels, trunk surface beneath the mat. The underside of the car can usually tell a lot about the history.

If you really want this car, it is suggested to drive to syracuse and check it out.

Anyone up that way that can look at it for me? I've got this thing called work that's getting in the way. It's an 8hr round trip drive for me.

8 hours to look at a cool car, meet someone new, and have a meal someplace new, is a fun day. I really wouldn't know how much to trust someone you don't know to evaluate a car. For me, it's a "I'm impressed enough to buy without seeing in person"...or I'm going myself.

I live in Canada, found my Roadrunner in Long island.... I Facetimed with the owner, then decided it was worth it to take the trip. I drove to Buffalo (4 hrs), hopped a bird to Boston, then on to LaGuardia.. rented a car, drove out to Long Island, spent 3 hours going through the car, driving it. Then drove back to LaGuardia, flew to Pittsburgh, back to Buffalo, and drove home. Best 23.5 hrs of my life. Live the adventure. Good Luck.

Thanks Guys! If I had more time then I'd definitely go take a look myself but this week I'm booked solid. Perhaps it's a good omen and something better is around the corner. If it doesn't sell then hopefully I can find time to go up there. I have asked for more photo's up close.

Thanks Guys! If I had more time then I'd definitely go take a look myself but this week I'm booked solid. Perhaps it's a good omen and something better is around the corner. If it doesn't sell then hopefully I can find time to go up there. I have asked for more photo's up close.
roger, car looks pretty on pics,but the devil is always in the details,i would look myself if i am putting the kind of money you will have to pay for this car,one thing about ebay if you bought this car and get it home and things are not to your liking,ebay has a money back to you policy up to 100.000 if car was misrepresented or not in condition as described.i would just take a vacation day and drive.

I've driven from the Bay Area to San Diego, and back, in one day, in my 1-ton truck and trailer, to check out a car (17-hrs?). Didn't go home with it, but was glad I made the trip. Take the time and spend the green to see any car in person, or have a compadre do it. Well worth it.

Dan

It sure seems that he wants to make it clear that the car is to be "SOLD AS IS". Nothing wrong with that but it seems a little curious to me. I'd want to check it out well before bidding.

I bought my Barracuda on eBay without checking it out in person, but the photos and description were adequate to document the non-running condition it was in. It cost under $10K, but if it was much higher, I would have had to see it before I bid on it. Plus, if it wasn't what it was made out to be when I went to pick it up, I would have backed out of the deal.

GEDC0004.JPG

It sure seems that he wants to make it clear that the car is to be "SOLD AS IS". Nothing wrong with that but it seems a little curious to me. I'd want to check it out well before bidding.

I'm curious now. Does anybody sell a 48 year old used car with a warranty? "Sold as is" is normal as long as it is represented accurately...JMO

I'm curious now. Does anybody sell a 48 year old used car with a warranty? "Sold as is" is normal as long as it is represented accurately...JMO

I wasn't suggesting that "Sold as is" wasn't the norm when selling a used car. The point I was attempting to put across is to be cautious. I try not to read too much into peoples posts but when it comes to Ads to sell a vehicle I do try to read between the lines. So far it's worked well for me.

I have the same dilemma; there is a (supposedly) 'museum quality' Super Bee 7 hours from me that has been off and on craigslist for almost one year. The price started at 38, went to 33, then to 28, then back to 33, so on and so on. I've spent hours on the phone with the seller and seen about 60 pictures and videos. Between work, family care, and commitments I just can't make the trip.
I've decided if he has the car February 1st I'm hitting the road at 2AM to give it a look and get back home that night for work the following day. Painful, but I just can't buy sight unseen after test driving recently a 'absolutely perfect' described craigslist cars that needed everything to just get out of the driveway safely, or not even run.
My two cents; go see this car!

Last edited:
Agree with all of the above sound advise. My thoughts are its overpriced, up to almost 26 grand and reserve is not met. How much can he want for a car he is practically telling you needs paint and has rust issues. I dont care how we'll the paint shines when you see bubbles and the seller states there are some, times that by at least three and dont be swayed by a vinyl top either. My point is you want a car with no rust issues and nice paint figure at least 15 grand more money into this car and thats not taking anything else into consideration. You absolutely have to see this car in person no exceptions.

Agree with all of the above sound advise. My thoughts are its overpriced, up to almost 26 grand and reserve is not met. How much can he want for a car he is practically telling you needs paint and has rust issues. I dont care how we'll the paint shines when you see bubbles and the seller states there are some, times that by at least three and dont be swayed by a vinyl top either. My point is you want a car with no rust issues and nice paint figure at least 15 grand more money into this car and thats not taking anything else into consideration. You absolutely have to see this car in person no exceptions.

I traded email over eBay with the seller when it first listed two weeks ago and he disclosed the reserve was "near 35K". I think the first time around the auction ended around 30K.

I looked at a real numbers matching Charger R/T last summer. Needed quite a bit of tlc and some light body work. That car sold for $38,000 see my thread below. Chargers bring crazy money right now.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/price-check-1969-charger-r-t.116540/

My first concern is their appears to be a lot of schill bidding going on there. I agree with Steve that the price is a bit high, especially with that rear stripe. Looks crooked to me. As for another car selling higher, yeah, that can happen. I've seen insane prices for some cars that I've never seen again. If it was a 440 car I could see it going for $30k+, but not a 383 car.

Yep. Me too told me 35K as well. I asked for more pic's and he told me he'd send them but I never got them. It was orig posted on CL & I tried contacting him at least 3x but never got a response.

I traded email over eBay with the seller when it first listed two weeks ago and he disclosed the reserve was "near 35K". I think the first time around the auction ended around 30K.

I looked at a real numbers matching Charger R/T last summer. Needed quite a bit of tlc and some light body work. That car sold for $38,000 see my thread below. Chargers bring crazy money right now.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/price-check-1969-charger-r-t.116540/

It was orig posted on CL & I tried contacting him at least 3x but never got a response.
Welcome to the world of cragslist games. There is not enough server space on fbbo for all of my craigslist horror stories and no responses. Personally, I hate the cragslist community and maybe 1% of the sellers are straight and honest, and maybe 20% actually reply and answer your questions.
I'm not trolling here, but I believe eBay has a better community of sellers overall. Yes, I've had several bad experiences (never bought a car yet), but either eBay made it right, or a PayPal case got me a refund.
My local garage mechanic has bought three eBay cars sight unseen (30s Plymouth, Ford Deuce, and an old GMC truck), and all three were represented honestly. Maybe that is not the norm, but compared to craigslist I believe eBay is better.
I just found out from a friend that one craigslist car I am considering has pictures that were taken 10 years ago on a car I was going to drive 7 hours to look at, so the suspicions are setting in now.

Last edited:
One thing to note about Craigslist recently. I use Yahoo email, and when I posed my son's car for sale on Craigslist I wasn't getting any responses at all. Then by chance one day, I opened the Spam folder and there were several replies that had been labeled as Spam and not going to the Inbox. I never designated them as Spam, and in years past they have gone to the Inbox, so I'm not sure what changed but now when I list on Craigslist I always check the Spam box to see the responses that go there.

Auto Transport Service
Back