• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Has no gas tank: need pics

uwss

Local time
6:08 AM
Reaction score
I have a 69 plymouth GTX that the gas tank was gutted out with no nothing; everything is missing. Does anyone have any detailed pics of the gas tank size, straps, and misc. to get this done ?

Pretty simple, if you call Year One or Classic, they have all you'll need, from gas cap to vent tubes to ground strap.

Be very careful when buying gas tanks. There are at least five to six different tanks on the market and some vendors will picture a premium tank and when your order arrives, you will be getting a much inferior piece. You will find tanks available in stainless, galvanize as original, powder coated metal, spray paint metal, etc. The same for the tank straps. Fuel sending units are a huge concern. We have probably sold over 2000 units in the past 25 years and nobody at the time has a very reputable unit unless you can find a true NOS unit. Differences in fuel tank pads between a sponge material that will soak up water and holds it between the body and tank to tar paper to a heavier tar paper to the original style pads are available from approximately $12 to $80. Make sure that your fuel tank grommet is nitrile as there have been some rubber grommets that will simply break down upon exposure to the fuel. Fuel tank J-Bolts are not a issue unless it is a 66 to 67 B-Body. A variety of at least three manufactures of fuel and brake lines and then you will need to chose between original metal or stainless steel.
You can shop around and save yourself a chunk of money. Rock Auto and Amazon has deals on tanks, but again, make sure what you are ordering. Even the mail order giant like Classic will offer different varieties and you will need to know the level that you are searching for. Do not skimp on purchasing the most inexpensive unless you are just looking to getting the car running and passing it on to someone else.
If you have any other specific questions, drop me a private message.

Well mine is a 68 but they are basically the same just make sure to get the parts specific to your year..mine is installed but hopefully this helps. Factory service manual is your friend here as far as getting everything in correctly...some notes: my fuel gauge grounding strap is obviously not stock(that's the braided thing you see), the return line is plugged for now(that's the rubber line that's just hanging there) and the next-to-last pic is how the vent line is routed through my trunk..there are two vent lines on my year, the other one just connects to the frame directly above and stops, you can see that in the last pic

20170306_162254.jpg 20170306_162231.jpg 20170306_162559.jpg 20170306_162615.jpg 20170306_162701.jpg 20170306_162738.jpg 20170306_162838.jpg 20170306_163040.jpg 20170306_163233.jpg

Beanhead are the J bolts located at the rear by the bumper ?

Uwss- no ,by the diff&sending unit.

Yes oldbee's right, they're in front, the rear of the straps hook through the body above the gas filler

69 differs from 70 for number of vent nipples. California vs 49 states. Get the right tank. Pay close attention to sending unit and vent routing to prevent the heartache reported here on many other threads.

Auto Transport Service
Back