• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69' Road Runner GEN III Carb Hemi Build & Questions

Sweet5ltr

Local time
9:22 PM
Reaction score
Caused myself some grief last week on a test run with the new converter, sounds like I threw a rod bearing. The car drove an 1/8th mile back and has 80psi of oil pressure, but now has a low pitched knock. So, selling my 440 & turbo setup to fund a GEN III N/A Hemi build.

Basic Build Prices;
GEN III Hemi 5.7 ($800-$1,500)
MSD 6 controller w/ adapter cables ($700)
Muscle Motors 'short' Drag Pak intake ($600)
Adapter kit for 727 trans ($400)
Motor mounts ($250)
Carb ($300)
Oil Pan ($250)
Conversion Longtube Headers ($350-found locally)

Questions;
Camshaft, is it worth swapping for what looks like modest gains without ported heads?

Last edited:
Look into a specific website on gen III's. [Modern Mopar] You'll find all the pros and cons to each gen III motor.

Too bad about your 440. Are you going to miss the power of your old setup? Good luck with the swap

No swap yet, seems like I may have not hurt the motor, ended up with two wiped lobes on the camshaft. Have a NITRIDED camshaft coming my way, possibly this week.

My next build is going to be a 400 based, 470 stroker. Roller cam, lightened valvetrain, road-race & 1/2 mile engine with light boost. I'm acquiring the block now, so it's not too far off.

Auto Transport Service
Back